Grandfathering

Jim I love that movie http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht4PfYkJjoc

There can be no unity as long as “The Coalition” is willing to turn a blind eye to the organizations whose sole purpose is to facilitate the licensing of uneducated and inexperienced people into our profession. The wholesale whoring of our profession must cease, the money requested for lobbying would be better spent on a media blitz of the schools and organizations plaguing our profession rather than sending it to a coalition who is unwilling to police their own.

I agree.

We have agreed to support the coalition with some changes. FL Home & Insurance Inspectors get a seat(Greg Bell). Mark gets the Nachi Seat and Steve gets Marks seat. Let me be clear it does not change the fact that we do not support any extension of grandfathering.

We can agree to support the coalition with some changes. FL Home & Insurance Inspectors get a seat(Greg Bell). Mark gets the Nachi Seat and Steve gets Marks seat.

Let me be clear it does not change the fact that we will not support any extension of grandfathering. We do not need anymore of today’s Wal-mart greeters becoming home inspections overnight.

This needs to be fixed. We are professional home inspectors and we do not “sit down and shut-up”

And I agree again

I agree with Preston that he Agrees with John

I don’t think it has to be an either/or thing. For some people it is perfectly acceptable to support the coalition and still be opposed to extending grandfathering and the actions of those in our midst who continue to cheapen our profession.

What’s the old saying… Keep your friends close, but your enemies even closer. :wink:

I have no problem adding people to the Council, no one on it does either.

Heck, I offered Steve Taylor a seat on the Council a couple weeks ago. I need an alternate anyway.

I didn’t even know the Insurance group existed until a couple weeks ago. I joined to find out what’s going on and to help bring people together.

Seems there’s a lot of disagreement here. If half the FL members don’t support the FL chapter, someone in leadership needs to take the bull by the horns and solve the problem.

Things are underway to facilitate that…

We stepped up to do just that.

I side with John, Russell, Greg and company. We need a voice that speaks on our behalf, who keeps us informed and serves our best interests as home inspectors. If the coalition will not do it (and up to now they have done nothing that I am aware of) then we will find others who will. If we do not stand up to be counted then we will not be heard but rather trampled underfoot.

I would like to think it was a simple miscommunication on the part of the Coalition and nothing nefarious. Now that we have proper representation on the council I believe we will be better informed.

The council is the same as it has always been with one exception. It is now supported by FLNACHI. Nick has stated that InterNACHI will not support the council.

Personally I am against joining the council (coalition). Joe and I attended a meeting of the council in Orlando a few years ago. I offered our support and let them know that InterNACHI wanted a seat at the table. At that time the council choose to exclude InterNACHI from the coalition.

We have 4 times the members than all other associations combined in the state. We should not be taking a back seat too anyone.

I put this poll up for a specific reason. I wanted to see if those that want to extend grandfathering would make their position public. As you can see they have not. I have private emails from a board member of FLNACHI explaining why FLNAHI supports extending grandfathering.

Why have they not made it public knowledge that they support extending grandfathering? You will have to look at the facts and come to your own conclusion.

37 no to 1 yes. Hmmmmm.

I got a call from one of our local 4 point and wind mit inspectors Friday afternoon, all worried because the deadline for grandfathering was approaching and he couldn’t meet the deadline because no tests were scheduled in this area. He wanted me to tell him how he could get licensed.

This inspector has never performed anything but wind mits and 4 points for insurance companies, but if he passed the test and provided his 16 hour wind mit course, would be grandfathered in as a licensed home inspector.
This guy does wind mits for $45 and 4 points for $65. I suppose he’ll start doing whole house inspections for $95 if he can take the FLNACHI test.

Ain’t licensing great? We don’t need any more unqualified or untrained people becoming home inspectors. Grandfathering needs to end Next Tuesday, and licensing by endorsement needs to be shot down.

Just got word that the extension of grandfathering (for home inspectors) will be removed from the amendment to the bill today.

This is the direct result of lobbying by the Florida Home Inspector’s Council.

Note that this doesn’t affect the extension for contractors and code inspectors.

That is good news.

Now we just need the Governor to allow the DBPR to adopt the COE which prevents contractors from offering repair services to correct defects they discover on an inspection.

No we do not. If a inspector holds multiple licenses they should BE ABLE to do any work they are qualified to do.

IT WOULD BE A TERRIBLE SHAME FOR THE STATE TO HOLD BACK THOSE WHO ARE QUALIFED ENOUGH TO HOLD MULTIPLE LICENSES.

Many people have worked a lifetime earning the right to do multiple things. You should never be stopped from doing an activity simply because you have mulitple qualifications.

Please, lets not start down this road again. Everyone knows your position as a contractor inspector a.k.a conspector. And for the record, no one wants to prohibit license holders from doing what they are licensed and qualified to do. Just no inspections AND repairs on the SAME home by the license holder. You can still do inspections. You can still do repairs. Just not on the same home.