Great question from the "misc" discussions!

The RE industry in your area acts much differently than in mine. Here they just wish you disappear!!.. and have had to be drawn into any attempt
to propose licensing/regulation…To them, it’s not their business to regulate HI’s!! They have enough to do just selling houses!

In my state, the Missouri Association of Realtors have wasted a lot of PAC funds every year since 2004 in their failed efforts to control our industry through legislation. A couple of their bills (like the one they just bought in Kansas) actually proposed a real estate salesman on the HI licensing board.

The legislators have told us, in private, how they have to sit, pretend to be sympathetic and listen to salesman after salesman that the MAR buses to the Capital to complain about how these “terrible” inspectors are killing their deals.

I have the copy but will let JB repost it.

It’s part of the Inspection Articles section…

Seven Ways

Jeff

Maybe, Nick, you look into each state’s licensed real estate agent CEUs. I know Missouri allowed business courses as CEUs for real estate agents, and I would imagine other states would also. If they allow it for real estate agents, they will need to allow it for home inspectors too.

Just another example of licensing solves nothing.

Great article, Jim!

Show me a home inspector on any real estate board. JB has fought well for us in Missouri, along with James Braun, and others. Many mistakes were made when the RE’s in Kansas pushed, and got, their licensing bill that they wanted. Just like the feds; it does not benefit the consumer at any level. All it does is allow limited basic reports, and fill the pockets of lawmaker campaign funds. Most RE’s here are using their buddy appraisers and contractors anyway, who are not bound by any law, rule, regulation, or insurance or educational requirement.

Here it is November 8th, and I finally have an inspection for this month.

One.

If there are any consumers that just purchased a home in Kansas, or for that matter, Missouri, and have had problems, I suggest you write your congressman, state attorney general, or your state governor and tell him about your experience in purchasing the home. The media will not listen to you, as that will affect the RE company advertising revenue.

James, keep it coming.

Turnover in any industry happens, mostly due to lack of intelligence and initiative.

Nick,
I can only speak for NY State in that they have not to this time, and I do not believe they will in the future, approve business operations related courses for NY State License Renewal Requirements. I know, I have submitted a few hoping to get them approved but they have been rejected. Add to that is the fact that too many Inspectors refuse to take a course if it is not accepted for License renewal by the State. They “don’t want to spend the time or money if the State won’t accept the class for License renewal”; and I have had them tell me that to my face.
Tom Valosin
ASKUS Consulting Services LLC
ASKUS Consulting Services Home Inspector Training & Continuing Education

Thanks, I read this before, forgot. :shock:

Brian, if you only new what you started. :wink: :roll:

Licensing in most states is a relatively new concept. So, when HI’s eventually take all of these courses offered by the states, what will the states do then? You can only get so much education, that you cannot learn much anymore. When you have been a home inspector over 10 years, and have performed over 5,000 home inspections, you still will have to take tests, and pay educational providers thousands, for what?

Where does it end?

It is a shame that RE teachers teach new RE’s about home inspections. I wonder what is said in those classes. If you regulate us for a real estate transaction, the states should also regulate the RE’s; both should attend classes together, along with home builders, contractors, and lenders.

What a hoot that would be.

I didn’t pose the original question. It was an INACHI member but it was in a section that I couldn’t post in, if desired. I just got it more out in the open…but from reading the stuff in “MISC”, that was not needed!

Government stats on a new business last 5 years is 13plus percent.
I think the norm is 20 percent are in business after 5 years but that is the government and banks numbers.
So is HI different.
Many get in because they think its a quick buck.
But business is business that is all.
In America its not fair to even ask that question , for the past 2.6 years are not normal.
That is my take on that question.
One last observation and that is people think that real-estate is easy to but look at all the deception in that industry.
Its the illusion of fast easy money that draws them in and that money so elusive that makes them resign and quit.

IMO, the biggest contributor to turnover is not being able to sell your service.

But I do agree, it does take a full time effort.

It takes a HUGE amount of effort and it takes a TON of failure. When I first started my biggest problem was PERFECTION. Man, it had to be RIGHT ON. The problem was it took 10 times as long, numerous started ideas are STILL in my documents folder and LITTLE gets accomplished.

Putting a “Good” email together and getting it out is much better than a PERFECT email that is work in progress still on my computer.