"Green Building Inspection Course"

Research & Writing Assignment:

Heat pumps are more efficient than resistance heaters because less high-grade energy is required than is released as heat. Most of the energy for heating comes from the external environment, only a fraction of which comes from electricity (or some other high-grade energy source required to run a compressor).

Inspection & Writing Assignment:

This picture shows LED bulbs I replaced in my home several years back. At the time they were expensive I recall over four hundred dollars as original investment. However there have been no bulb replacements and we have enjoyed lower utility cost!!

It was interesting to learn about. Energy Efficient Mortgages (EEM). Loans that potential allow home owners additional funds to reduce the energy consumption through energy efficient features. A win win for both the environment and homeowners to help reduce emissions.

This is picture of a new modern green home that I have picked for my inspection. As a green home from the outside it passes being green with the large passive windows that allow natural light and warmth in the winter. In the summer it has large roof overhangs to block the light when the sun is directly above so the home maintains being cool. This is both green and cost effective for heating and cooling.

From the library of inspection articles I read the 10 easy ways to save energy in your home. These are all green things one can do to there home to save energy and help the environment. From changings incandescent lighting to lED and CFL one not only saves in cost but becomes greener for a lack of a better word. Even installing a low cost but effective ceiling fan one can cut cost on the air conditioning. From insulating to a more efficient toilet all these green ways for your home can be found in this article.

Here is a picture of my electronic thermostat. These are good because they only turn your furnace or cooling system on and off as needed. they do not have any mercury so they are a lot more accurate. Also they are able to turn the fan on without having the heat on.

Proper tools can are crucial for this section. Moisture meters, thermometers, and a variety of other tools are important to doing a green home inspection to get accurate measurements and accurate ratings on various items such as moisture, heat etc.

Added Insulation , The Insulation in the flooring of the crawl space is not secured and is falling out. To better insulate and utilize the homes energy efficiency . You would have to secure the flooring insulation and add insulation to the block walls with insulation also. Insulated wall board would work just fine in this application.

Green Roofs , Green Roofs are becoming more popular today than tn years ago, More Businesses are utilizing the space to become more of a green company nowadays . Built on the roof tops, that are built to hold the extra weight these structures are created to increase the environmental impact they create on our country. There are two types of Green roofs , one being Extensive and the other being Intensive . Extensive " Less maintenance elaborate". Intensive " High Maintenance ,Veg. Flowers,Shrubs".

Insulation is by far the most cost effective way to reduce energy consumption in a home. However, incorrectly installed insulation will become a maintenance area as it can create more issues than it resolves. A popular area of problem is how to properly insulate a walk-in attic.

This course is a very detailed summary although several practices have changed over the last 12 years as the need for sustainability is forcing humans to reconsider their housing and production costs have dropped. LED’s are now the most environmental, energy and cost efficient light bulbs, not CFLs. Photovoltaic systems have become extremely popular, perhaps a course worth offering through interNachi. Yet areas that are proven to be sustainable have not been incorporated or even promoted by municipalities.

This photo shows an EnergyGuide decal on a water heater with a 68 gallon capacity. It shows the proposed energy use of this unit and what the estimated yearly operating cost will be. The decal also shows the amount of Therms this model will use in the course of a year. A “Therm” is described as 100,000 BTU. The decal shows that this unit meets the requirements of the National Appliance Energy Conservation Act (NAECA) and the American Society of Heating, Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE).

Green Roof Inspection:
When inspecting a Green Roof, there are many factors that come into play. The amount of layering the roof has in order to repel and divert moisture, the amount of weight the structure can handle as well as local ordinances and guidelines. Although they are economical and environmentally friendly, Green Roofs can be time and cost intensive and need to be maintained in order to achieve desired results. Today, there are other options such as artificial turf that have proven to be a great option when opting for a Green Roof. This option gives the aesthetic of vegetation without the maintenance. Most artificial turf is cost effective and lasts from 10 to 25 years depending on the quality and location.

When inspecting a home it is not required but I believe it would be a good service to your customer to note what type of lights are being used in the house. Older incandescent bulbs are only about 5% efficient in putting out light, 95% is heat. It can make a great difference in cost and comfort for what lighting is used.

Many energy saving ideas can be done by the homeowner for very little cost. Energy costs are increasing every year and if a homeowner can do a few simple things like sealing any air leaks around doors and windows, electrical outlets and any openings it can make the home much more efficient and comfortable to live in. Other suggestions for the homeowner that can be given are to install a programmable thermostat, wash in cold water and only full loads, air dry clothes etc. All of these small items can add up to a savings and also help the environment.

Energy Star ratings have been around for quite some time now. This valuable tool gives homeowners the decision making power that they wanted. With having a set standard that an average person can relate to has become crucial when making a purchase.

HVAC Efficiency. With the modernization of the HVAC system, homeowners now have more choices on where they can spend their money or do upgrades. As an example by purchasing a high efficiency furnace, the homeowner can save on monthly bills but at the exchange of a premium in the upfront cost.

A private, home-based wind turbine can be an excellent way to reduce your carbon footprint. You must consider whether your application will be an off grid installation, or if you are able to use a net meter to sell excess power to your local utility.

I learned the importance of energy conservation and management when working towards sustainable, green construction. By using high quality materials and focusing on energy conservation, such as well insulated and sealed spaces, alternative forms of energy become more practical as the sole energy source for a home.

Recently the company I work for was notified that a number of green improvements we verified actually did not meet the requirements stipulated by the lenders to qualify for green reimbursement. Although we were shown new low flow toilets, showerheads, and aerators, they weren’t the required GPM. As such, I was required to take this training course.