"Green Building Inspection Course"

Research & Writing Assignment:

Commercial Inspection 17: This is a photo of a flat rubber membrane roof with a cooling tower and other related central systems. In particular I noted how the drains appear to be operating properly and are free of debris. Some of the drains on high rise roofs appear to have been clogged for ages resulting in significant cracking and wear on the rubber roof surface.

Inspection & Writing Assignment:

The label on this furnace shows that the furnace has an Annual Fuel Usage Efficiency (AFUE) of 95, with 96.6 being the highest of its similar models. A furnace with an AFUE of 95 would be considered as very efficient.

Home inspectors can get additional training to become energy auditors if they would like to add an additional service to their business. As an energy auditor, an inspector can help clients to find out how energy efficient their home is.

The image is the low-flow shower head in my apartment’s bathroom. The apartment’s management company replaced the previous shower heads two years ago. The change was one way to conserve water for indoor use. It was pretty annoying at first in using them because the water seems lacking. But now I feel that the low flow provided by this shower head is just enough for bathing.

The article I’ve chosen is titled “Estimating the Lifespan of a Water Heater”. The article discusses the typical factors that can affect the water heater lifespan. These are: correct installation; usage volume; construction quality; and maintenance. A good rule to consider when deciding to repair or replace a water heater is “that if the total repair cost per year is greater than 10% of the cost of buying and installing a new water heater, it is probably not worth replacing damaged parts”. It is mainly the cost that drives that decision.

A type of green roofing system is Extensive or Intensive roof. These roofing systems are comprised of soil and vegetation to help form the roof. The two are similar in appearance but vastly different in how they are made. The extensive roof requires less maintenance, water, and nutrition. They have a soil depth of about 3 to 6 inches are lightweight in construction supporting about 15-50 square pounds per foot. The intensive roof is more robust in that it can support up to 150 pounds per square feet and can have more choices of plants due to soil depths of 6 inches or more. However, it does require more maintenance, irrigation, and fertilization.

There are many benefits to using solar energy. There are potentially considerable savings in yearly energy costs and there are numerous ways to extract solar savings. For example, solar water heating or panels can be used to derive hot water or electricity, respectively. In addition, in some areas, excess solar power can be sold back to the power company creating additional savings. An additional benefit of solar panels is the reliability since there are few moving parts. Furthermore, solar power can be used to provide energy to less critical areas of consumption thereby freeing up and expanding the longevity of traditional power sources.

i’M BEGINNING THIS COURSE TODAY

Finishing off some continuing ed with this course.