Green electrical connection box, what am I looking at here?

Yes using the proper nominal voltage 120/240 when reporting looks more professional. Some people won’t care but some will.

7 Likes

I agree it sounds more professional especially if you are doing an inspection for someone that is experienced in electrical as they may start correcting you. however if a client uses the 110/220 in conversation I would not necessarily correct them. I meen, it is not like someone saying Hot Water Heater…or “Master” Bedroom…cuz that is just racist and the former may conjure up nasty visions of their Ideal Rheem or Bradford White in Lingerie…Not that there is anything wrong with that…

6 Likes

I wouldn’t correct them either but when mentioning the voltages I would still use the correct terminology during the conversation. Also other professionals do read the reports. I once had a report where the HI called out the 2-way switches for the stairs. Sure I knew what he meant but that can signal a lack of understanding, same goes for 110 or 220.

5 Likes

“Three way” means that there are three devices in the circuit. Two switches and the light.

1 Like

So… when there are (four devices) THREE switches and a SINGLE light load… FOUR-way switches are used.

What is used and/or it is called when there are TWO switches and TWO light loads, such as may be found in a long hallway?

1 Like

In your first scenario only one four way switch is used but there are four devices. A four way switch is a double pole double throw (dpdt) switch. A three way switch is a single pole double throw switch (spdt) 2 are used in the four way switch arangement.

In your second scenario two light fixtures controlled simultaneously by two switches would still use 2 three way switches unless a third switch is added half way down the long hall in which case a four way switch is added.

There is no bullet proof explanation for the terminology, it is mostly just a convention. A three way switch has three separate electrical connections while a four way has four is another explanation.

1 Like

Converting 110? What country are you in?

1 Like

The lights are being controlled by two three-way switches.

2 Likes

Must be in Brazil, they use 110v.

4 Likes

Interesting transformer issue: We had a retail building fire here last week. I talked to the owner, who I know, and he speculates the cause of the fire was a squirrel that built a nest around or near a transformer for an audio system. He speculates that the heat of the transformer ignited the nest and the result was a total loss to the building.

The fire investigator is yet to submit his report, so this is still speculation. However, the owner does recall a squirrel entering that area of the building…

120… I apologize for the typo

1 Like

120…sorry for the typo

1 Like

You shall be publicy flogged and banished from the kingdom… :rofl:

10 Likes

I deserve that. :flushed:

6 Likes

The screw terminals with the cloth wiring are the low voltage side (10ish to 24ish volts). Not a worry.

The transformer is likely warm, and possibly buzzing. The warmth shows wasted electricity. Replacing this with a modern switching power supply is actually cash positive over the life of the new transformer, due to lower energy costs.

2 Likes

No sir Joe… same state as you… Although AC voltage is 120, appliances can often be rated to operate on lesser voltage (115 & 110) due to voltage drop. Those common appliances are TV’s, microwave ovens, and small air conditioners. Receptacles can measure between 110-125V depending on the time of day. The US power network began (1882) at 110 volts … by the 1930’s to 115. As of 1984 the official standard was 120. This was my recent research findings since my faux pas… that’s my story and I’m sticking to it. My head is now back into reality. Have a great day Joe!

3 Likes

If he is banished, we will lose future opportunities to flog him. I say that instead of banishing him, we make him stay.

3 Likes

Valid point George…

1 Like

He can check out any time he likes, but he can never leave.

4 Likes