Ground in a condo unit??

Originally Posted By: ssopha
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/p/pic1.jpg ]

Thanks

Originally Posted By: jschwartz1

I would be more concerned with the rusted lug! Refer to a licensed electrical contractor for equipment replacement.

Jay Schwartz

Coast To Coast Home Services, Inc

www.Coasttocoasthomeservices.com

Southeast Florida NACHI Chapter - VP www.floridanachi.org

NACHI - Legislative Committee Member

MAB - Member

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

I don’t see a ground. This cabinet and equipment may be grounded via the conduits. If so there shouldn’t be a bonding jumper or bonding screw from the neutral bus to the cabinet.

I really prefer a conductor pulled through for a ground but it isn’t a code requirement if the raceway system is suitable for grounding.

BTW if that is a green wire on the neutral bus it is wrong.

The “rusted” lug was loose and overheated.

Originally Posted By: ssopha

Thak you guys for your responds. I figure the conduit were used as a ground since I can’t find any grounding inside the box. All the neutral screws are pretty much rusted.

I did not know that a rusted lug is loose lug.

Any way thanks.

Originally Posted By: dedwards

Greg,

Perhaps you can answer a question I have been wrangling for a couple of weeks. I did an old duplex that had all three prong outlets which tested normal (used a SureTest) all stated “Wiring Ok”. Yet when I pull the covers off the Service Equipment Panel for both units there is not one branch ground wire inside. Now, I have been into every book I own, and scratching parts of my anatomy and I have not figured this one out. Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated. From anyone that knows the answer.

P.S. There was no conduit.

They either tied the ground to the neutral, which will trick simple testers or they came up with a ground somewhere else, like a cold water pipe. Both are illegal.

Rust is basically oxidation and when a lug runs hot it oxidizes. If there is any significant moisture in the air that will look like regular rust. If the lug is pure copper that will be more green. I would call out any discolored lugs for that reason. It is possible they were tightened up but they should still be checked out.

Originally Posted By: dedwards

Greg,

Thanks. I figured it was somehow a “false ground” and recommended getting a licensed electrician in to clean it all up. That was only one of the numerous elec. problems but the only one that had me flum puckered.

Originally Posted By: srowe

Greg F.,

Is it safe to say that this (bluish/greenish) wires is something to be concerned about?

![](upload://c8NuKQMwbTjdsoMjz5yhgHyS4Bs.jpeg)

Yep, that is oxidation, either caused by heat or moisture or both.