Ground wires merely twisted together

Originally Posted By: mpettitt
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

In a lot of 70’s homes I’ve done lately I’ve seen outlets that were back stabbed, but my main question is that the ground wires are just twisted together. I’m looking for some good verbage for report. Thanks, Mike

Originally Posted By: Aron Jacobs

110.14 (B) Splices. Conductors shall be spliced or joined with splicing devices identified for the use or by brazing, welding, or soldering with a fusible metal or alloy. Soldered splices shall first be spliced or joined so as to be mechanically and electrically secure without solder and then be soldered. All splices and joints and the free ends of conductors shall be covered with an insulation equivalent to that of the conductors or with an insulating device identified for the purpose.

Wire connectors or splicing means installed on conductors for direct burial shall be listed for such use.

icon_smile.gif

Aron Jacobs

Electrical Contractor

Electrical Instructor

North Carolina

Originally Posted By: rcooke

mpettitt wrote:
In a lot of 70's homes I've done lately I've seen outlets that were back stabbed, but my main question is that the ground wires are just twisted together. I'm looking for some good verbage for report. Thanks, Mike

The Ground wires twisted together is Ok as long as they have a twist or simular conector . The plug must also be connect to the ground .
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

--
Roy Cooke Sr.

http://Royshomeinspection.com

Originally Posted By: Aron Jacobs

Quote:
250.148 Continuity and Attachment of Equipment Grounding Conductors to Boxes.
Where circuit conductors are spliced within a box, or terminated on equipment within or supported by a box, any equipment grounding conductor(s) associated with those circuit conductors shall be spliced or joined within the box or to the box with devices suitable for the use in accordance with 250.148(A) through (E).
Exception: The equipment grounding conductor permitted in 250.146(D) shall not be required to be connected to the other equipment grounding conductors or to the box.
(A) Connections. Connections and splices shall be made in accordance with 110.14(B) except that insulation shall not be required.

The section that Joe pointed out has a referral to the one that I pointed out.

--
Aron Jacobs
Electrical Contractor
Electrical Instructor
North Carolina

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

All that said, it was very common to see a few inches of grounding wire twisted tightly and the inspector say it was OK in the 70s. That was the only way I remember seeing boxes made up when I was in Md.