Grounding of junction box

SHould any type of grounding or bonding be used in this panel box? old fuse panel converted to empty junction box.

If the cables have an equipment grounding conductor in they then yes.

If they don’t then it would be hard to do without one

Some do, some dont…

So if there is no EGC’s, and a hot wire come loose and touches the metal box, then what would happen if I grabbed the box to open it?

It might hurt real bad. But if there is no equipment grounding there to bond the enclosure it would be hard for someone to bond it. If at the time it was wired no equipment grounding was required it would still be in effect today.

IMO the hinged cover should be screwed shut.

Agree…

If some of the cables do have an EGC, and some dont, it suggests the system is probably ungrounded and simply has had electrical modifications done with cables that contain an EGC.

Potentially bonding the panel with a bare conductor in a cable that does not terminate at a GE/SBJ could actually create an additional hazard should a fault develop. As such, the fault would energize the EGC in the cable which in turn would only serve to energize the panel itself. With no actual fault path back to the source, the circuit current would never increase and therefore the OCPD would never open to interrupt the fault event.

Best to call it out for evaluation. As I am sure you are already aware, modifications to an existing electrical system requires proper compliance to current code standard, which by looks of it did not happen.

Hello Everyone,

Based on what I have read in this thread I can offer some advice. The original poster expressed that there where indeed EGC’s within that enclosure. If this is the case then it must be bonded in accordance with the National Electrical Code [NEC]. However, as stated Mr. Blackmon’s thread response; the system would indeed need to be properly evaluated in order to not create another potential hazard by creating an improper case to neutral connection. Why do I say that, well I notice some SE Cable installed in that enclosure and without knowing it’s origin or destination we could have a case where bonding may be a violation and hazard or a life saving practice. We simply do not know based on a picture being shown so obvioulsy the proper suggestin for this image is to have it evaluated by a licensed electrical contractor and allow them to make the final call. You pointing it out and explaining your concerns are vital to the customer making the right choice and listen to your advice and have it evaluated. You job is complete and theirs has only begun.

Just some advice from the back seat QB…and no my name is not Tebow !