Haag certified

I hear that insurance companies are going to only use Haag certified roof inspectors for insurance inspections. This can be a very lucrative business I hear. Will Nachi ever be looked at as being equal to Haag. I would think so.

Fyi…

Soooo…Do we have any Haag Certified Inspectors that could enlighten us?

http://haagcertifiedinspector.com/find-an-inspector/
Seems like many in my area are working with “Brinkman Claims Service”

Haag is a joke.

Insurance companies like this certification because Haag has wisely created their own standards and protocol that are friendly toward insurance companies (creating a demand for their services) and unfriendly toward insured home owners, i.e. had a Haag certified adjuster say that a roof must be 80% destroyed before requiring replacement according to some arbitrary Haag standard.

I had a Haag certified insurance adjuster point to hail damage on a composite shingle last Spring and suggest that some bird had landed on the roof and had pecked and eaten the granules from the depression. Some of these guys will say anything to try to keep from paying a claim.

They are out there, but as far as I know … they just train their adjusters. When the insurance companies have outsourced for expert roof evaluations, they have always chosen to contract engineers, in my state.

Jim Bushart is correct. Haag was even sued for it and lost.

I can use this. Where can I learn about this suit?

Haag has a fabulous training facility in Dallas with great instructors. In 1995 the local home inspectors were getting slammed bad in Kansas City by insurance adjustors from the major Insurance Carriers … Especially from our HUGE amount of wood shake / shingles. We as home inspectors would state the roof had wear, deterioration, cracks, nail pops, blow outs, etc and recommend repair. Roofer comes out does $$$$$ worth of repair … Then right before closing OR worse yet 2-3 weeks after close the insurance companies adjustor ??? comes out (the house has had a binder / NOT the full tamale) and the adjustor says “Sorry but we don’t want to insure this puppy UNLESS we pro-rate it OR you put on a new roof”. Then the buyers call their Realtor tell them they’re hosed AND their Realtor says call the HOME INSPECTOR … he should have told you the insurance company would want it replaced NOT repaired … Go get him.

In early 1996 … about 5 local home inspectors (including ME) called around and discovered that MANY of the local insurance companies used adjustors trained by Haag in Dallas (at that time they didn’t hold classes all over the country like they do today). SO we called them found out ANYBODY could take their classes, AND we registered for a 3 day class in Dallas AND off we went. The class spent 1 day on wood shake/shingles; 1 day on comp and low slope roofing; and the last day on estimating and figuring how to measure roofs for repair / replacement $$$$$$$$

We learned more about roofing defects than I ever wanted to know. Because of that class I became an expert witness and 3rd party inspector for the Wood Shake and Shingle Bureau (nice side $$$$ and looked good / sounded good when selling your services to buyers, lenders, realtors - maybe).

Haag had great trainers, good facilities, really good meals and kick-butt materials (books, etc) PLUS on the roof of their bldg they had 50-75 control panels of shake / shingles set up to experience differing weather and damage.

In 1996 we paid I think $445 apiece. We weren’t called CERTIFIED at that time … Just Trained. Don’t know what they are like today, but if anywhere close to then, would recommend them highly.

I few years ago I sent Kenton to their 2-week training in Texas. It was a total mess and full of outdated and incorrect information. Our bad experience lead us to develop this for the inspection industry: http://www.nachi.org/mastering-roof-inspections.htm It is free and open to all.
%between%

Sorry Kenton had a bad experience. The 5 home inspectors that went from KC included a PE, a past roofing material sales rep, 1 GC, 1 past residential home builder and 1 remodeling contractor. We thought their stuff was great, very informative and up to date. The books we got from them were filled with terrific pics of many adverse conditions. We liked it so much that 3 of us went back a year later for the commercial and low sloped roofing class / it was 2 days.

Never knew they had a 2 week class in something.

Post #5. Why do home inspectors need training about roofs? Oh, because we are not friendly to the people who pay us.

Do you have to be Haag certified or certified in some way to perform roof certifications for the insurance companies. What should you charge for the service. I live in Florida, and I am 240 pounds, I would not walk a clay tile or concrete tile roof that is older because the tiles always break. I had two roofers come inspect some leaks on my house and both climbed on the roof and in front of me broke tiles by walking on them. I have roof shoes. I have been marketing myself to insurance companies for wind MIT and four point and they always ask “do you do roof certs?” I was unaware of what they were talking about.is there a standard form used when doing a roof cert. thanks to all for any help you can give me.

I’m Haag-certified. Nick sent me to Dallas. About 80% of the people in attendance in my class were roof contractors and there was general agreement that Haag catered to insurance companies and in that respect provided information that was inaccurate.

I spent about 2 1/2 years writing and researching the InterNACHI roof courses that produced the mastering roof inspection series that Nick mentioned in an effort to surpass Haag’s courses and provide better information.