Hacking a FLIR e4 into an e8

I had an issue on by E40bx where I was plugging the camera into the computer and deleting images right off of it that away. It caused my whole Flir to crash to the point the thing wouldn’t even work at all. Sent it back in and they told me that the best way to remove images from the camera is through Flir tools only (which I find complete bullspit because everyone and their brother merely hooks cams to their computer and deletes/xfers images directly nowadays). Apparently deleting images directly leaves some sort of ghost file that screws up the entire OS. They said they updated the firmware and that it MIGHT not be an issue but not taking any chances, now having to use Flir tools to remove files from it. Lame.

LOL I still have A tir that works great

He call me after 5:30(apparently I made enough noise) and we looked at it. He asked about Flir tools and I do not always use it. I can see hidden files on my computer and it is bull, I did not see any ghost files. Even after we erased the database(on the camera) we still had the same issue with only four images on the camera. It does not always read the memory.

Saga continues:

Flir called me today and said they would send me a new unit, as soon as they get the one I have back. When I mentioned that I would have to pay for shipping(again), they offered to pay for the shipping. When I mentioned that I would be without a camera they(Donny) said that they did not normally sent them out with one being returned. I have a Fluke that is still good, so not that big of a deal either.

A couple of hours later someone called to tell me they would ship my new camera to the salesman, in California… I am in Florida, when I asked about the return merchandise form, she said she would have to hold the camera until the one I currently have was returned. I told I would be happy to return it as soon as they sent the Return Merchandise Authorization. At that point I told her how ludicrous this whole thing is.

So I guess after I send the camera to New Hampshire they will send mine to California.

Did I mention that they salesman offered, when I first had the problem to buy back the broken camera for two hundred less than I paid for it if I upgraded.

So far my experience with Flir tells me I will never buy another. No wonder they are having a sale.

That is a shame, John. I feel for you. :frowning:

IT IS NOT THE FIRST TIME I HAVE HEARD ABOUT THIS TYPE OF THING WITH FLIR AND, IT SEEMS TO BE VERY POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE FROM FLIR AND WOULD BE A HUGE COMPLAINT ABOUT FLIR SERVICE.

I hope others considering a purchase are paying attention.

Just wanted to let you all know, just got a new e4 this week 7/7/14 - and was able to apply the hack to the higher E8 resolution and menus with the latest 1.22 software - worked great.

Found the instructions on YouTube - The latest software config file IS encrypted which required a bit of work, but all in all about 1/2 hour of work.

Not worried about the warranty as I can always swap back to the original software config file if needed. I’m a home user and got this more for the fun of it and trying to insulate my house/etc.

If you camera stops working, how are you going to hide the hack and switch back to the original config so you can get warranty work done? Files record the dates you change them also.

If you look at the Field of view (FOV) on the e8, at 45° × 34° it does not meet resnet or BPI standards.
Before the update the level and span adjustments were almost nonexistent.
The lens is a wide angle lens which makes me believe Flir set up this stunt to market themselves.
At $6,000 this unit was over priced. For the same price you can buy a Fluke Ti300 as I did.
I see no real advantages with the E8. The hassles make it a no brainer to avoid.

Best of luck John.

From the sound of it, free warranty work cost more in lost time than it’s worth.

That’s why our students only buy from a company that offers a free loaner camera if they ever need it.

Update: I sent the camera back again and I got a new one(second time). Guess what happened the third time we used it… I received an error message again that says there is not a memory card.

This was on an upgraded camera, so it is not limited to the E4.

That is sad service from FLIR, John. They could at least send you a T640 for your troubles: http://www.flir.com/cs/emea/en/view/?id=41437

WHAT!

Lol, “interpret binary code”?!? All you have to do is understand file systems and flash different firmware. It’s basically like the early days of rooting a phone and flashing a custom Rom. The real question here is whether or not the C2 has the same sensor and if FLIR used the same directory structure. If so, game over. What would be incredible is if floor were to run their system on a customized Unix/android base. At that point we’ll see open source code that turns thermal imaging on its ear.