Half or Full Bath?

Never ran into this before, a bathroom with a shower and toilet only. No vanity. It’s listed as a full bath. Any helpful insight would be much appreciated.

even if it had a vanity Josh at best it could only be a 3/4 bath…no tub no full bath…imho…jim

Agree with Jim…

In my area… here is the basic rule of thumb…

Vanity only… 1/4 bath
Vanity w/toilet… 1/2 bath
Vanity w/toilet & w/shower… 3/4 bath
Vanity w/toilet & w/tub… Full bath

Jeff

i dont think i would call a vanity only a 1/4 bath. its just a sink. are laundry rooms 1/4 baths?

here in florida it would be considered a full bath as a shower substitutes for a tub and as long as you ccan wash your hands even if it’s not convenient it counts.

IMO it really doesn’t matter what you call it. As long as the client knows what you’re reffering to. I had one last week that had just a toilet! It was the “toilet room” in my report. :wink:

not the throne room ?

From the “search” function above:

http://www.nachi.org/forum/f2/does-bathroom-need-sink-41485/

If a home is listed as a 2 bath, and its only 1.5 baths, wouldn’t that make a difference in its value/appraisal?? You would think a 2 bath home would be of more value than a 1.5. Regardless, I told the clients to check into it with there Realtor.

the bathroom You described would certainly make a difference in the appraised value of the home…that is not a full bath in any stretch of the imagination…

I don’t know about you guys but I have enough to do with my home inspector job description without the appraisal or realtor work.

well gee Larry i thought we were talking about home inspection topics…sorry they were not up to your expectations…

Oh, please, Jim, feel free to carry on. I just don’t want to decide home values for others. :smiley:

no thanks…i remember now why I stopped posting here thanks for the reminder…I’ve had enough again…i spent my day making a bath ADA compliant for a customer getting ready for hip replacement surgery but i’m sure i would have nothing to offer to a busy inspector such as yourself…

Wow!

Jim, meet Larry.

Larry meet Jim.

Come on you too, you are my best buddies.

We have enough disagreements here on this Message Board to last a life time.

Maybe I can help;

http://site.answers.com/main48696/images/RA/answers-homepage-main.gif

Architecture:](http://www.nachi.org/library/Architecture%20and%20Construction-cid-10282980) half bath

A room containing a wash basin and toilet (W.C.).

A bathroom is a room that may have different functions depending on the cultural context. In the most literal sense, the word bathroom means “a room with a bath”.

Because the traditional bathtubs have partly made way for modern showers, including steam showers, the more general definition is “a room where one bathes”.

There can be just a shower, just a bathtub or both; and often both plumbing fixtures are combined in the bathtub.

The room may also contain a sink, often called a “wash basin” or “hand basin” (in parts of the USA) and often a “lavatory”.
In the United States, “bathroom” commonly means “a room containing a lavatory”.

In other countries this is usually called the “toilet” or alternatively “water closet” (WC), lavatory or “loo”.

The word “bathroom” is also used in the U.S. for a public toilet (the more formal U.S. term being “restroom”).

In the United States, bathrooms are generally categorized as a “full bathroom” (or “full bath”), containing four plumbing fixtures: bathtub, shower, toilet, and sink; “half (1/2) bath” (or “powder room”) containing just a toilet and sink; and “3/4 bath” containing toilet, sink, and shower, although the terms vary from market to market.

In some U.S. markets, a toilet, sink, and shower are considered a “full bath”.
This lack of a single, universal definition commonly results in discrepancies between advertised and actual number of baths in real estate listings.

An additional complication is that there are currently two ways of notating the number of bathrooms in a dwelling.

One method is to count a half bathroom as “.5” and then add this to the number of full bathrooms (e.g., “2.5” baths would mean 2 full baths and 1 half bath).

The other, newer method is to put the number of full bathrooms to the left side of the decimal point and to put the number of half bathrooms to the right of the decimal point (e.g., “2.1” would mean 2 full baths and 1 half bath; “3.2” would mean 3 full baths and 2 half baths).

bath·room

1. A room containing a bathtub or shower, and usually a sink and toilet.

2. A room containing a sink and toilet.

Now, if a home has a full bathroom and a 3/4 bath, it will be worth more money than the one without the 3/4 bath.
Very simple, more than one bathroom, the price goes up, wheth it is 1/4, 1/2, or 3/4.
Simple deduction Mr. Watson. :mrgreen:;):slight_smile:

Out of the bath room and “off the wrong side of the bed”

This reminds me of the “if it doesn’t have a closet, is it a bedroom” thread !!! ;-):smiley:

Jeffery, if you have a bedroom in a three bedroom house and one does not have a closet, you can technically call it a study and the home is valued at a two bedroom house.
Taxes are different for that equation. Lot of people do it by giving a bedroom a different name.

Just thought I would throw that in. :):smiley:

Maybe, but like Larry was saying, that’s beyond the scope of an inspection.

That would certainly be something the client should address, but not with their inspector. IMO the apraiser or agent would be a better place to ask. Their lawyer would probably be the best place to ask.