Has Everyone Learned Everything or Is Nobody Working?

Seems I used to come on here and there’d be 25+ new threads each day with questions. Lately, it’s surprising to see more than a couple direct questions from inspections.

So, what’s up? Are we working still? I know these rates have slowed things down a lot in my neck of the woods. And, of course, even in good times fall isn’t exactly the best time of year.

1 Like

It has slowed down in my area for two reasons. 2021 saw the crazy price inflation, multiple offers w/o inspections, hopefully trying to win the offer wars. 2022, the inventory has been reduced by probably 60% or more. The market has shifted from the seller’s side to the buyer’s here, except for some exceptional properties. The fall through the end of the year is a good market in my area. Folks come to the mountains to see the fall leaves and love it. However, it will be slower this year for me.

4 Likes

I suspect it is really slow for many according to the stats. I just came out of a two week drop but my schedule is filling back up now.

Sometimes I post things for comment or to add content. I do see when people who are new or have questions, they are not exactly welcomed with open arms (I am not claiming innocence). I do encourage the people I mentor to comment here, but almost unanimously they say “No way, those guys are brutal” or they say “I don’t even know how to use the forum”.

I would like to see more people just add things they think are relative, even if they do not need help. I’ve tried a few times but it does not really get much traction.

8 Likes

I’ve noticed the boards are a little quieter lately. I check them everyday, because I don’t have coworkers to learn from, so I come here to listen to you guys.

I opened for business this year and was on a nice trajectory of increasing the number of inspections each month. Then in July that trajectory dipped. September was scary slow, and I started to consider other work I could do on the side that would still let me nurture this business. But this month has started off much better. As a new startup though, I don’t think my experiences says much about the overall market.

5 Likes

When the message board is quiet, I just assume everyone is busy. For me, I have done more inspections already this October than I did all of last October. But last October was my worst month last year.

5 Likes

I’m staying busy.
I have a feeling the message board isn’t as busy lately, at least about home inspection related topics, is because people are getting burned out on all of the political threads. Again that’s just my opinion. Particularly the heavily one sided one’s Nick creates.

16 Likes

I’ve learned everything I’ll ever need to know about inspecting homes thanks to this forum! Thanks for everyones help :smiley:

J/K… As a newer business, I’m not getting much work in my market, almost nil right now. I’m only about a year in. I’ve heard it takes on average around 2-3 years for a new inspection company to be completely in the game, at least with enough realtor referrals to be sustainable as a full time business.

I’ve attended countless open houses and passed out over 100 tape measures with the attached marketing cards that I created from Preston and Ryan’s marketing help. Performed my first agent presentation for a large, well known broker a couple months ago. I joined one of the realtor associations and attended many weekly meetings and had a great time at one of their mixers that went very well. They also let me put pens and all my marketing brochures in their office. I met a realtor at a BNI group that provided me with an inspection and was happy with my report and she put me on their list of HI’s for their group of 10 realtors that are top producers and part of a 140 agent office. I’ve utilized Instagram for the last year to see if I could get some traction from that channel. Some of my neighbors and also clients from my other business mentioned that they would put in a good word for me. I’ve dropped off pens, business cards, and brochures at many real estate offices.

The ROI on these activities has been very low so I’ve been focusing on my other business for now. My handyman business gets busy right after labor day so I’m taking on as much of that work that I can to keep the income coming in. I’ll be back to posting questions when I have the inspection work that I’ll need help on which I always appreciate!

7 Likes

It’s kind of amazing how those tape measures work. I have clients that attend the walk-through that ask at the end if they are getting a tape measure, lol. The agents love them and tell their clients to make sure they get one. I always hand them out and say they better not be re-selling these on eBay because I’ve heard they bring big bucks, lol.

7 Likes

LOL! All the realtors seem to love them and say they’ll use me for their next inspection or put me on their list of 3 HI’s. My sense is that the market is tough right now. Also, I’ve heard that only 15% to 20% of realtors actually sell homes so I’m going to have to give out many, many more tapes :smiley:

I really appreciate you posting your version of these marketing tapes, courtesy of Preston, and how you went about creating everything. I took it to heart, learned how to use Canva, and was very happy with the turnout of my version.

6 Likes

Canva is pretty sweet. You can do so much with it for absolutely free. Nice looking cards you got there!

3 Likes

I my neck of the woods, Canadian home sales drop for fifth month in a row, it slowed down considerably. Where I use to get up to 30 calls a week, I am down to a hand full when the phone rings for inspections. A most noticeable difference.
I have not learned everything and likely forgot more than I used to know. Time to educate.

I agree, more than few inspectors have voiced their negative opinions about the political topics that are visible to the public.

Business here has picked up considerably from this time last year. Things are returning back to normal in my area as far as the RE market goes.

Here’s to hoping it stays that way. :crossed_fingers:

5 Likes

It got slow in early August. Picked right back up by the end of the month, back to turning work down by early September.

1 Like

Part of the reason some companies are slower than normal is due to the influx of new inspectors, Ohio has more than doubled in the number of HIs since 2019.

An extended slowdown in home sales would most likely change these numbers.

On a side note, commercial inspections have been en fuego all year. My commercial company is going to outperform my HI company, monetarily, for the first time ever. I will make more on the commercial project I am performing for this company this weekend and next weekend than my HI company will make for the month. Just the way I want it to go.

4 Likes

Too busy working. And marketing.

3 Likes

Where did you purchase the tape measures? How many feet long?

https://forum.nachi.org/t/yes-i-do-have-a-tape-measure-you-can-borrow/206636

2 Likes

Slow year and still slow. I only know one realtor who is having her best year, but weirdly, her biz didn’t get going until the interest rates went up, so go figure. She has always been a heavy hitter in the Denver market.
On the other hand, I am at the age where I’m kinda happy with only one inspection a day. And for me, I wonder if I am also getting old enough that many younger agents want to refer inspectors that are closer to their age. (Although a few months ago, a young agent told me that I had more energy than anyone she knew who was her age).

6 Likes

I do the same. I tell them to just read the posts. Don’t ask a question that they should know the answer to. lol

1 Like

I am consistently out riding one of my bikes and the one thing which is clear is the lack of listings. The reality is that fewer and fewer people need to move about the country to seek work which means fewer inspections. Couple that with the massive push by real estate investment fund managers to purchase single family homes to convert into rentals and rising mortgage rates, means the number of conventional homes being bought by individuals has dropped dramatically. Cycles ebb & flow nothing remains the same.

2 Likes