Have you seen this fitting used anywhere?

Originally Posted By: jtedesco
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Have you seen this fitting used anywhere?

Is the bare wire terminated properly?

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

I don’t recognize the fitting but you can’t ground a wire under a screw used for any other purpose (clamping in this case)

Originally Posted By: Randy Flockton

I saw one of these once… on the end of a very old piece of 10/3 romex which was being used as the service feeders for an old 30A 240V Square D Multi-breaker panel… The end was just stuck out of the stucco under the eaves of the house & the Utility line connected to it… This instance there was no ground wire present.

Isn't this called a "Monkey Face"?

While this might be considered a violation of 110.14(A), as I can see questions arising about "a thouroughly good connection" here... How else would you bond the metallic parts of this fitting? The "Boston Backwrap"?

-Randy

--
"Prices subject to change with customers additude"

Originally Posted By: jtedesco

This “Monkey Face” fitting was used as you described Randy and the use as shown is incorrect because the fitting was designed to be used where the wiring method was armor clad cable “BX”. This supports Greg’s observation.

I have seen it used to make a transition from knob and tube as well.

If this fitting is found I would check to see that the armor was grounded and that was often done by running an equipment grounding conductor to a water pipe and to one of the first metal boxes in the new runs of cable.

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Originally Posted By: dbozek

I’ve seen them thingies many times…but then anymore it seems like old houses are my specialties icon_eek.gif

You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they should and could do for themselves. Abraham Lincoln