Healthy Homes 6: Housing Structure Course

This thread is dedicated exclusively for those students currently enrolled in InterNACHI’s free, online Healthy Homes 6: Housing Structure Course.

Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to understand: the basics of housing structure; housing structure terminology; foundation for homes; the basics of vapor barriers; house framing; roof types; and classifications of windows.

Students are free to pose questions and comments here and join in the conversation with other students. The thread will be monitored by the course instructor.

Contact the Education Team at InterNACHI.

Inspection & Writing Assignment:

The rafters in the attic were hand cut on site when the house was built in 1966. All components were found to be properly tied together. The exterior wall top, collar beam’s rafters to the ridge board. No defects were found.

Research & Writing Assignment:

A residential foundation may consist of a footing, wall, slab, pier, pile, or a combination of these elements.The most common residential foundation are concrete block, and cast-in-place concrete. In the Southeast slab on grade is a popular foundation, in the East and Midwest basements are more common.

When building a home, it is absolutely necessary to have a termite shield in place on the foundation.

The shield may be comprised of galvanized steel, terne, copper, or aluminum. Granite and Polyvinyl chloride (PVC) shields are also found, although not as common as the metal materials.

I chose the article on C.L.U.E. reports. I was not aware that these reports were available and becoming informed about them is going to be very useful.

I went to the Georgia sight and learned that you can also get them for automobiles.In the state of Georgia, you can access 2 reports per year, free of charge.

this is a older home that I inspected in the attic the rafters looked to be in good shape. The insulation value was r20 and used gable vents for venting the attic .also found that the chimney had been leaking would recommend roofing contractor for a opinion

during the inspection on a garage look for the obvious defects improper alterations and bearing points. look at connections where the trusses attached to the wall also look for proper metal hangers inadequate screws .Are the trusses designed to bear loads at a specific points

The garage door of a home is likely the heaviest object in the home. Powerful springs are used to help the operator lift the door. Automatic openers are common in current construction. Safety devices should be installed when using an automatic opener. One of these devices in a non-contact reversing mechanism. The mechanism should be mounted within six inches of the garage floor and auto-reverse the door when activated. Clearly in the picture shown the device is higher than six inches from the floor which is a safety hazard and should be corrected.

The image selected is of slabs with vapor barriers. A vapor should be installed both above and below the slab-on-grade foundation. The vapor barrier beneath the slab will help prevent excessive moisture from being wicked up into the slab and structure above. The barrier on top of the slab will provide additional protection for the wood products in the home as well as the occupants by preventing radon gas intrusion through the slab.

The attached photo shows I Beam joists supported by a girder resting on jack studs to carry the extended load of the jut out in the basement for a room on the first floor that extends to the build out of foundation walls.

Structural Design Basics of Residential Construction provided a wide scope of types of construction as well as consideration for the geographic location of the home. There are many considerations to be weighed based on location, hazard potential and available construction materials. It would pay to research the hazard conditions of an area and develop design to accommodate those conditions.

Here is a photos of a home with vinyl siding that is damaged from the heat of a neighbors house being on fire. While vinyl siding is not real common in my area, I do occasionally see it, at times a few areas are damaged from flying objects, but in general not too many issues. The health issue from PVC off gassing and the emissions from catching fire are something I would like to know more about.

I read an article on Vinyl Siding Inspection. Vinyl siding expands and contracts with warming and cooling cycles and proper installation must allow for this movement. Details such as nailing to allow for this movement are important. I learned vinyl siding can be brittle in extreme cold. I am concerned about vinyl siding off gassing during normal use and especially if there was a fire, I would not want to live in a house with vinyl siding.

The home in the photo is new construction. The house has been under construction for approximately three months and is four to eight weeks away from being completed. The contractor stated that it takes between four to six months to build a home depending on location, subcontractors, permitting and the weather.

The article “Garage Doors and Openers” points out that garage doors are among the heaviest moving objects in the home and special caution must be taken to insure that an injury doesn’t occur. Garage door accidents account for approximately 20,000 emergency room visits each year. Inspectors should never attempt to repair a broken garage door but recommend that a licensed garage door professional perform the repairs.

The door pictured has two major problems that require replacement. First the door jamb has severe pet damage. The Jamb is also installed tight against the concrete allowing moisture to wick up the jamb causing it to rot. The casing also has pet damage that can only be fixed by replacing damaged wood.

Green lumber, or wet lumber, contains above 19% moisture. It is often chosen in dry areas because it costs less than kiln dried lumber. It can be used in arid climates because it will dry during the delivery and framing process. It shrinks during drying, and if walls are finished before it is sufficiently dry, it can cause nail pops and peeling paint.

Allowing good and proper air movement inside an attic cavity is a tried and true way of preventing accumulation of Consumer Product Safety Commission excessive moisture or potential mold growth. Using a simple 1/300 square foot ratio is a very good indicator of proper ventilation.

Garage safety is, in my opinion, one of the most overlooked systems dure a residential home inspection. It is too easy to look passed simple items like a missing safety sticker or a photo sensor set too high from the ground, but to an unsuspecting client or homeowner, the results could spell danger.

roofing systems . badly damage roof shingle materials , down to the mat , the mat is the whitish stuff that you see on the roof , the mat that you see here is not seen by many inspectors they never have a chance to see badly worn shingles as you see here and this home is up for sell .