Healthy Homes 9: Plumbing Course

This thread is dedicated exclusively for those students currently enrolled in InterNACHI’s free, Healthy Homes 9: Plumbing Course.

Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to: identify components and systems in plumbing; identify various plumbing material; discuss advantages of hot and cold-water piping; discuss safety guidelines and danger prevention for plumbing systems; identify safety valves and controls; and identify drainage components

Students are free to pose questions and comments here and join in the conversation with other students. The thread will be monitored by the course instructor.

Contact: Chief Academic Officer, Ben Gromicko ben@internachi.org

Inspection & Writing Assignment:

This water heater in my house is properly installed and the t&p valve is installed in the proper location with the drip leg within 6 from the floor. The one thing I did notice. I would recommend replacement because the unit is near the end of its life. It is 12 yrs old.

Research & Writing Assignment:

I read the article on TPR valves and the safety precautions. I have discovered that it is recommended that the TPR valve should be tested monthly. I did not know this. The water heater is one of the most important item in the home and should be treated as such. I have found the water heater is easy to inspect after reading all of this material.

The above photograph is showing an improper trap under a kitchen sink. Known as an s-trap, this trap has the potential to siphon water from the trap seal, allowing gases to enter the home. This is a potentially hazardous installation, that should be corrected by a qualified plumber.

A non-FVIR (flame vapor ignition resistant) rated gas fired must be at least eighteen inches from the garage floor. Non-FVIR rated water heaters have open combustion chambers. Because the combustion chamber is open, and many flammable vapors commonly found in garages are heavier than air, the water heater must be installed at least eighteen inches above the floor to prevent flammable vapors from being ignited. Protection from accidental vehicle strike must also be in place.

A P-trap is required for sinks, tubs and showers. Most toilets contain an internal trap. The traps are designed to hold water in the bends of the trap. This insures that sewer gas cannot enter the home. An additional benefit of the trap is that dense objects will stay in the trap and can be retrieved (rings, etc…). They are designed so that they can be disassembled if they become clogged.

I chose the article entitled “Plumbing Terms” for review. In this article I learned the correct name for some of the plumbing items. I also learned the 2 main features of an indoor plumbing system. They are to bring potable water into the home, both hot and cold and to drain all waste water and sewage away from the home.

This is an image of a kitchen sink fixture drain. The drain line from the adjacent sink can be seen coming into the picture from the left. The trap can be seen in the bottom of the image. This is obviously in s state of disrepair. A complete replacement would be recommended. The connection is obviously not secure which allows moisture to escape the drain line. This water and moisture will build up in the cabinet area causing water damage and likely mold growth. This is an unsanitary situation.

The image chosen is of a typical kitchen sink installation. There is a double sink with a disposal on one side. There is also a dishwasher drain line connected to the disposal. The sink side without the disposal typically connects to the P-trap. The disposal side should enter the drain line above the P-trap. The dishwasher drain line should have either a high loop or, better yet, an air gap, before entering the disposal. This is to ensure not dirty or contaminated water is allowed into the dishwasher.

Noting that the toilet can be the number one water consuming appliance in the house, it is noted that older toilets should be replaced with the newer low water usage unit. The attached photo indicates that this unit meets the current recommended usage rate.

The article on water quality informs us of those responsible for our drinking water and steps that consumers can take to ensure the water they are consuming is safe, what violations their water supplier may have incurred and where the source of their water originates. We have a responsibility to be proactive regarding our water consumption and usage.

During the inspection of the crawlspace at 505 Emerson street, the inspector found an active water leak under the kitchen sink area on the hot water supply pipe. There was visible corrosion on the exterior of the pipe also. The inspector also found dis-similar types of pipe material connected to each other. Joining of dis-similar pipe materials can create the possibility of electrolysis which can cause early failure of the pipes. The inspector recommends correction of the active leak and an evaluation of the plumbing materials. All work should be completed by a licensed plumbing contractor.

The topic I chose for my research was Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC). PVC was discovered in the early 1900"s and is widely used in many facets of the building industry. PVC is very durable and has a relatively low cost. PVC has been criticized by some due to its propensity to off-gas chemicals known as phthalates, which are an invisible toxic gas. Disposal of PVC should not include burning because toxic gasses are released when PVC is burned.

My favorite plumbing upgrade has been a hot water recirculating pump. I love getting hot water a few seconds after I turn the sink faucet on and pretty soon after the shower is turned on. I chose the style that mounts under the sink farthest from the water heater and uses the cold water line as the hot water return to the water heater. This style does not need a return water line but does put warm water into the cold water pipe. At times this can be annoying when I get a glass of warm water to drink and was expecting cold!

I read an article on Water Heater Expansion Tanks. I rarely see expansion tanks in my inspection business, just occasionally in newer construction and with solar thermal systems and radiant heat systems. I once had a solar thermal water heat system that was connected to a gas water heater. I went away for a couple weeks in June, it turned out to be a very hot June and my one year old gas water heater developed a leak in the tank. I assume the solar thermal system tank was very hot and the heat from the pilot pushed the temperatures and pressures higher, this combined with no one using hot water caused the leak. I should have shut the solar system down. I did install an expansion tank and tempering valve to avoid future issues!

The picture shows a recently installed Kohler 1.6 gallons per flush or less toilet. The old toilet was replaced for 3 reasons by the homeowner. The old toilet had a small leak around the base. If the leak was not repaired the bathroom floor could have been damaged. The second reason was that the homeowner wanted to decrease the amount of water used each time he flushed the toilet. The third reason was that the homeowner wanted a higher toilet for convenience now that he is getting up in years. No matter what the reason, a water saving toilet makes dollars and sense.

The article “Toilet Inspection” points out that toilets manufactured after 1994 must not flush more than 1.6 gallons per flush. It is very important that the inspector pay special attention when inspecting a toilet. It is not uncommon for a toilet to leak around the base due to a faulty gasket. So use your inspector skills and check the toilet thoroughly.

With the recent updates of modern plumbing code and best building practices, recognizing the adequate plumbing traps in comparison to their earlier predecessors. Now that most builders and plumbing contractors will install P-Traps because of all few S and bell style traps are all but unavailable to purchase and install for modern residential constructions,

Informing your client on the location of the home’s main water shut off valve is not only a requirement in our (Standards Of Practices) SOP but critical for the homeowner if they are able to turn off the water supply in case of a catastophic plumbing failure or basement flooding.

The picture above shows the distance between the temperature and pressure relief (TPR) valve installed in 2017 and the floor as being 12 inches. 2015 IPC, Section 504.6 states the discharge pipe shall not terminate more than 6 inches above and not less than two times the discharge pipe diameter above the floor or flood level rim of the waste receptor. There was no waste receptor in this case, so the discharge should have been no more than 6 inches above the floor.