Hearth size???

Marcel
How would you explain this to a home buyer that the hearth is only 12" in width. The opening is less than 6 sq ft. This house is 48 rs young. Iam sure they aren’t going to change it, it’s an estate sale.

Gary, I guess I would turn it into a recommendation to do so, since the installation was probably in compliance 40 years ago and not to be expected to meet today’s standard, but since it is a safety issue at hand, I would suggest that glass doors and screen be intalled.

I believe, even 40 years ago, hearth extensions were at least 12" in front of the fire place openings.

Marcel :slight_smile: :smiley:

Here is some addittional information;

FirePlace Mantels Building Codes - National Standard

All the mantels on this web site will meet building codes in most areas of the United States. It is the customer’s responsibility to contact their local building code authority on fireplace mantels to determine if the the mantel opening and the hearth extensions meet the local building codes on fireplace mantels. If there is no code for mantel openings in relation to firebox openings in your particular area, we strongly suggest the mantel surrounds meet the National Building Code. The following is a reprint from the Standard Building Code.

2114.3 MASONRY FIREPLACES 2114.36 Fireplace hearth extensions shall be of approved noncombustible materials for all fireplaces. Where the fireplace opening is less than 6 sq.ft. (0.56m²), the hearth extension shall extend at least 16 inches (406mm) in front of the facing material and at least 8 inches (203mm) beyond each side of fireplace opening. Where fireplace opening is 6 sq.ft. (0.56m²) or larger, the hearth extension shall extend at least 20 inches (508mm) in front of the facing materials and at least 12 inches (305mm) beyond each side of the fireplace opening. Where a fireplace is elevated above or overhangs a floor, the hearth extension shall also extend over the area under the fireplace. 2114.3.7 Fireplaces constructed of masonry or reinforced concrete shall have hearth extensions of brick, concrete, stone, tile, or other approved noncombustible material properly supported and with no combustible material against the underside thereof. Wooden form or centers used during the construction of a hearth and hearth extensions shall be removed when construction is completed. EXCEPTION: A header of combustible material may be used to support the hearth extension provided that it is located more than 12 inches (305mm) from the face of the fireplace. 2114.3.8 All combustible wood beams, joist, and studs shall be maintained a minimum of 2 inches (51mm) from the outside face of the chimney or fireplace masonry. Headers supporting trimmer arches at fireplaces shall be not less than 20 inches (508mm) from the face of the chimney breast. Trimmers shall be not less than 6 inches (152mm) from the inside face of face of the nearest flue lining. 2114.3.9 Woodwork shall not be placed within 4 inches (102mm) of the back of the fireplace, but shall not prevent plastering directly on the masonry or metal lath and metal furring. 2114.3.10 All combustible mantels and similar trim shall be kept at least 6 inches from fireplace opening. Parts of the mantel assembly located along the sides of the fireplace opening, which project more than 1-1/2 inches (38mm) from the face of the fireplace, shall have additional clearance equal to he projection. Parts of the mantel assembly located above and projecting more than 1-1/2 inches (38mm) from the fireplace opening shall not be placed less than 12 inches (305mm) from the top of the fireplace opening. - 2806 FIREPLACES FACTORY BUILT 2086.1 Factory- Built Fireplace 2806.1.1 Factory built fireplaces shall be listed and shall be installed in accordance with the conditions of the listing. 2806.1.2 Factory built fireplaces shall be tested in accordance with and meet the requirements of UL 127 2806.1.3 Hearth extensions of approved factory-built fireplace stoves shall be installed in accordance with the listing. Masonry hearth extensions if used with factory-built fireplaces shall be installed as required in 2144.3.8. The hearth extension shall be readily distinguished from the surrounding area. 2806.1.4 Factory built fireplace shall be installed in accordance with 2114.3.12 2806.2 Factory-Built Fireplace Stoves and Solid Fuel Room Heaters 2806.2.1 Factory built fireplace stoves and solid fuel type room heaters shall be listed and shall be installed in accordance with the conditions of the listing. The factory-built fireplace stoves shall be tested in accordance with and meet requirements of UL737. The solid fuel type room heaters shall be tested in accordance with and meet requirements of UL1482. 2862.2.2 Factory-built fireplace stoves shall also be installed in accordance with 2806.12 and 2114.3.12 - 2806 FIREPLACES FACTORY BUILT False fireplaces may be used in connection with listed gas or electric heaters, provided such fireplaces are constructed of noncombustible materials.

This might help a little.

Marcel
Thanks for the info. I will add it to my database.

A hearth floor protector may be an option. I needed something when I installed an airtight wood stove insert into the fireplace when I bought my house because the opening of the woodstove protruded into the room more. It works great and is something like 12" x 48"…I just needed that little extra and it has saved the hardwood floor from burn marks a few times. I burn 24/7 in the winter.

Similar to this:

http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/177444_lg.gif

Here is a pic. It wood be a major job to bring this hearth up to current standards. I am going to point it out and suggest keeping a screen and glass doors on while burning. Not sure if you can see, its the only pic we have.

Gary, I agree, you should recommend keeping the glass doors shut when in use.

Open doors with screen, with occupied mode only.

It is not a big job to cut that carpet and add ceramic tile for an extension, and not that expensive.

You are so right Marcel. Never thought about just adding tile to the front.

You did not say if it was Masonary or Manufactured,the above specs are for Masonary, if it is a Manufactured unit, The Hearth Extension per listing and instructions 03 IRC- 97 UBC

Sorry Ken, no one is perfect, right?

Marcel :slight_smile: :wink:

On issues such as this, I always explain that when it comes to safety, I use today’s building code as my baseline. I don’t make up my own rules. They don’t have to and are not required to accept any of my recommendations. 48 years ago we didn’t wear seat belts in cars either…today we know better.

I wasn’t trying to make you look bad, just thought I would add it on. But did you notice I put 8’, mighty wide Hearth hunh! BTW Marcel, I was talking to the original poster.

I know you did Ken, that is why I posted it. :wink: