Heat & A/C Certifications

Originally Posted By: bkrautter
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Does anyone do heating or air cond. certifications? If so what type of proposal ,or contract do you use? What does your cert. say.Is it basic system checks. What fees are generated? I am asking alot I know. But I am interested in this and what others may be doing. Bill Krautter

Originally Posted By: cbottger

Bill:

Can you be more specific in defining certifications as in certified for what.

Don’t argue with an idiot someone watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Originally Posted By: rsummers

Bill I would think that you would need a contractors license and a lot of knowledge to do this. I know roofing contractors who certify roofs but no HVAC contractors giving a warranty on the life of the equipment.

Originally Posted By: dbowers

In many parts of the country HI’s have been doing FHA Certifications on Electrical, Plumbing, Roofing, Structural, and HVAC for years. FHA / VA had certain language that they required you to use. Ask around with some of the guys in your area that do FHA Certs for the form language.

Dan Bowers

Originally Posted By: bkrautter

Well to start out ,I have been in the air cond./heating bus. for 26 years,and very often we would get calls from customers moving ,asking us to come out and give them a certification which was needed to sell. At the time we did not go and do “certifications” but we would say ok I can come out and check the systems to make sure they are running at least,but would state that this service gave no warranty. Most people were ok with that as long as they had something in writing saying at the time of inspection everything was ok,if not a recomendation was made. Well I guess I almost answered my own question,this is probably the way to do it limiting liabillity.I was just trying to see what actually a true certification was. Meaning does it have to include a warranty of some type? Or if worded properly the certification carries no warranty! Thanks for the input Bill

Originally Posted By: LJ Johnson

I moved from Indiana, and many of the inspectors there did FHA/VA certifications like Dan said. It was not a warranty just a certification that it was working without need for significant repair. They’ve been doing those sine the late 80’s that I know of.