Yes inspecting gas furnace heat exchangers is normally outside the scope of home inspectors however our RSES Chapter is offering a class.
If anyone in the Davenport, Iowa vicinity would like to attend please call me at 815-716-0218 or answer thread. We need to know how many will be attending for literature.
**RSES Mississippi Valley Chapter
Heat Exchanger Inspection Method Symposium
Saturday September 12th 2009
8:00AM – 12:00PM
This session is open to the public. You do not need to be an RSES member to attend.
1-1/2 of hours of classroom instruction followed by 2-1/2 hours of laboratory work.
Presenters: Desi Rigg, CMS and Gary Reecher, CM
Place: Scott Community College, 500 Belmont Road, Bettendorf, Iowa in the HVAC Lab: Room 3124 (Applied Technology Building enter through Door A-2) Park in Lot E
• AGA Three Step Inspection Method
**** • AHRI 80 percent furnace inspection procedure
**• Lennox Pulse furnace heat exchanger leakage test procedure
** • Methane/nitrogen gas injection test
• Flame deviation test
• CO/Combustion meter testing method
• Magnehelic gage test method
• Visual Defects Inspection method and other methods
• Inspect furnaces and heat exchangers in the college’s HVAC Lab
• Use 4 different inspection cameras: The Inspector, Testo View, Rigid and Milwaukee