Heat Pump Testing

Originally Posted By: syared
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Can geothermal heat pumps be tested in both heat and cooling modes no matter what the outside temp is since the compressor is inside the house?

Originally Posted By: dedwards

Im not sure why you need to check a geothermal heat pump in both modes regardless of the season to determine if it works or not. A geothermal system is different from a conventional heat pump in that it extracts heat either from inside the house in the summer and from the earth in the winter. If the “mechanical” equipment is working properly then it means it is working regardless of mode. If you really want to understand the principle behind geothermal heating/cooling go to Google and type in -geothermal heat pump and a couple thousand websites will pop up. Take your pick and read all you ever wanted to know and then some. Air conditioning is not hard but often the principle or physics of it is totally misunderstood. Air conditioning is simply moving heat and the humidity from one place to another (not “cooling” the air) as is assumed by most. Hope this helps you.

Originally Posted By: John M Borchers

Yes you can Steve.

Originally Posted By: syared

Thanks John.

Acutally, A/C only moves the heat, not the humidity. The reason I would need to test both modes is so I know that the mechanicals are working. If I am able to test something and don't test it and then it comes up faulty, I'm on the hook.