Heat Pump? What the heck is that?

Bob,
That is a page from a 126 page pdf from one of the energy management companies I dealt with back in the day.:smiley: enjoy
http://www.wattmaster.com/pdfs/WM-WHP-IO-02A-All.pdf and another with more detail http://www.mcquayservice.com/mcquaybiz/literature/lit_systems/EngNews/1002.pdf

Should be everything I need .(thank you)

Thanks Bruce!

Missed that. :oops:

Bob,

With this type pf system, all you should need to inspect is the individual condo unit. All of the other stuff falls under the Association.

It helps to know (so you can advise your client) that a two pipe system like this allows for both heating and cooling at the same time, in the same building. Conventional Chiller-Boilers can only do one thing at a time (which is a pain in the spring and fall when it is hot and cold from day to day. Either the boiler or the chiller will be in service at a given time.

Won’t get a 20 degree delta T with this one! :wink:

I am guessing you do not know my Pseudonym.

Dave your client has assessments,reserve funds,and special assessments to deal with that can be game changers.

Yes you are right that your Inspection is between the walls only.

Just not mine.

Email or phone me to discuss further.

I know where your coming from, but this system takes much more than a Home Inspector or even the common HVAC contractor to evaluate.

The control system alone would run most HVAC Co’s out of the building!

I know what you are saying to but I need to understand the big picture.
Knowing that if I flick a wall switch the lights come on is not enough for guys like us.:slight_smile:

Yes, I totally understand. I am not one that will call you out for going overboard in your home inspections!

Just that this type of system can get extremely complex when understanding a simple residential system can be overwhelming to some.

I don’t want you to become disillusioned if you don’t fully understand one of these monsters!

Get that site engineer to help you out if you end up in that complex again. I’m sure they would be more than willing to walk you through the equipment and principles behind it.

David that’s our job

All I do every day is educate myself.

I just came in from chating with Gas Company reps as to be a Home Inspector you must love learning.

If you total it we probably spend more time with education than most college Grads.

I am not sure if you do many Multi-unit buildings but if you ever have any questions just send me an email.

Will do.

I only do 3-4% Multi-unit.

Thanks.

I probably do 80% Townhouses and Condos.
I excel at explaining to first time buyers, so that’s why I put in the extra time on site.

Educating the buyer is what it is all about.

“Quick” is not what it is about…

I tell every client that I don’t want them to leave with any questions unanswered.

I also tell them that they have free phone consults for the rest of my life (most are younger than I).

That last part sucks.

Here Bob, check this out http://home.howstuffworks.com/home-improvement/heating-and-cooling/heat-pump1.htm

Drew

Darn it
I have Mr Brains site on my RSS feed.(thanks)

James, what you are looking at is a conventional split system heat pump. A water source heat pump is quite different. I have to admit that at first, I thought Bruce wa on something. Then I took a second look at the photo. I think he is right. It is a water source heat pump that is using the heated water as a heat source.

A water source heat pump is a one piece unit that has the compressor inside and a coil that the water flows through (a heat exchanger) to heat or cool the freon. The unit in my house (an open loop water source heat pump) looks almost identical to that. Only thing is in my case, the water come from a well.

As to the em heat, my unit does not even have heat strips so there is no emergency heat or auxiliary heat.