Heat Source in Every Room?

My “stronger language” would be directed at the client - “Hey STOOPID, why didn’t you just open the GD door?!”

“Oh, and by the way, I didn’t put it in the report, but three cars won’t fit into a single-car garage!!”

The OP (me :)) didn’t say the AHJ was wrong. I only posted what he said to get other inspectors opinions; and I appreciate everyones. I had already made my decision.

Privacy is code as one of the requirements for a definition of bedroom is privacy or we can call pass through rooms bedrooms as well
which may be acceptable by California standards but not here .

Just to add to the discussion how would you guys call out a room or would you say nothing about a large attic dormer room (bedroom) with one single vent (not enough to make heat requirements) that also had an (Amish type) electric space heater and heat bulb in bathroom ceiling.

This is a test.(so look at pics )(see what you catch)

What, exactly, does the code state? Can you provide a reference?

Even if a door is required, the heating requirement does not mandate individual distribution points in each room. So, if you want to stay warm, you’ll need to leave the door open…

Going too let this percolate Jeff ,but we could start by you defining the term (Bedroom)

The only time I define bedroom for clients is when they have a water heater or something in it.

OK side bar here.

When doing reports is there any place (including cover) on your report that counts Bedrooms and Bathrooms ?

Nope. They are buying the house because it meets their bedroom and bathroom needs.

I include the number of baths and bedrooms as stated in the listing.

This is important when assessing egress requirements.

Hmmm …sorry just need to ask you another question then.

So if they tell you they are buying a listed 3 bedroom home and two of them are in a windowless cellar that has no heat or means of egress you say nothing ?

If its a bedroom with no means of egress, the I report that. Obviously.

Glad to hear that as it can mean a difference between what they think they are buying when signing the purchase agreement and what they actually are getting which falls in our lap to a certain degree in my opinion.

We are there to stop them from getting shafted as a third party though understandable we are not representatives per say we were hired to help them decide and at least around here the last chance a client has to walk is based on our findings.

We report health ,safety,money concerns as they relate to deficiency and a missing room is a issue to them.

Sure you are not liable to report it (correct ?) but you sure can note lack of egress and place a definition of a bedroom in the report.
Now where is that definition ?

A room used for the purpose of sleeping = sleeping room aka bedroom.

To qualify as a sleeping room, the room must have…

Hmmm. Can’t seem to find “privacy door.”

“Rooms” don’t require doors, closets do.

I don’t define bedrooms in my report. I note deficiencies with the rooms. It is some one else’s job to define bedrooms.

Which is why I leave it up to the listing agent for the claimed number.

I may indicate a potential bedroom as not having adequate egress or closet space.

Exactly what I am saying. Listing says 3 bedrooms. It’s obvious to me which are the 3. One of them has no windows. I’m not goin to say its not a room and write in my report that its a two bedroom house. I’m going to note the lack of egress.

My report client information includes bath and bedroom count.
Any discrepancy needs to be reported for good reason.
Example would be if that furnace was in one listed as.
Furnace is not allowed to take makeup air from a bedroom

This is a safety concern as well so a few points made here.
Bedroom privacy required…?
Yes

Says who? Source please.

I would like to see that source also because if you can find it that means there are a heck of alot of studio apartments that have to be retrofitted with privacy doors around the sleeping area now I guess. LOL