Heat Tape Inspection

Does anyone know how or where internachi describes how to handle heat tape inspections?

Is every run to be tested? Do you turn on in summer?

does the thermostat have a manual override? can you make out the manufacture? if you can id try and reach their tech support.

There are a few types of heat tape, some as the main heat source, and others to keep pipes from freezing.

Not common here, I have tested one system where the electric heat tape was in the ceiling. The electrical service was large, had multiple panels. A thermal imager was quite useful, showed where a section was inoperable. Should be able to test in the summer with TI.

As far as the plumbing pipe heat tape, the ones I have seen were on a preset temperature thermostat, could not vary the temp, they would only come on if it got cold enough. They tend to have a useful lifespan of a few years, in my experience. And when they malfunction, the pipes freeze.

It is not part of the SOP and is, typically, covered with insulation. There are many varieties so when I see it I recommend making sure that the pipes/area covered does not freeze as the tapes go kaput regularly. And, I make sure that I state that these were not tested or were warm/hot to the touch and can fail at any moment. So, monitor them closely as the temperature drops. :smile:

1 Like

lkage

[Larry Kage, CMI](https://forum.nachi.org/u/lkage)

Certified Master Inspector

December 10

sgaasche:
Does anyone know how or where internachi describes how to handle heat tape inspections?

Is every run to be tested? Do you turn on in summer?

It is not part of the SOP and is, typically, covered with insulation. There are many varieties so when I see it I recommend making sure that the pipes/area covered does not freeze as the tapes go kaput regularly. And, I make sure that I state that these were not tested or were warm/hot to the touch and can fail at any moment. So, monitor them closely as the temperature drops. :smile:

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.