Heil Furnace question

Originally Posted By: jday
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I came accross this HEIL Ultra Efficiency gas furnace yesterday and have a question about it. The pvc drain line runs accross the top and down the left side and the furnace is vented through the ceiling by pvc. When the drain goes accross the top it runs over an opening and has darkened the underside if the line. My question is first-what is that opening for and should be capped off or vented out or what? I told my client that he would need to run the drain around the opening anyway because the line is slightly sweld there and we run the risk of it leaking. I hadn’t seen anything like this and told him I would get back to him. I have tried to call all of the HEIL dealers around me but of course they are all out on calls. Any suggestions appreciated.

Jeff

Originally Posted By: rsummers

It could be the intake for Combustion Air was it a sealed combustion chamber? The darkened area of the PVC was it dirt? Some 90% units have the sealed combustion and some don’t the ones that do usually want the intake and exhaust to be in the same length. I have seen units installed without the intake run with the exhaust and then after they were repaired and there is a big difference in the noise they make while running. I may be wrong on this but I think that they also want them together so they draw and exhaust in the same atmosphere. Go to http://www.heil-hvac.com and find the model and read the installation instructions.

Originally Posted By: jday

I had tried the site earlier today but didn’t find any instructions. They asked for a dealer number in order to get them. The darkness under the pvc doesn’t wipe off so it isn’t dirt. When the furnace kicks on hot air blows out so I was thinking that the stain is from the heat blowing directly on it. Someone else has told me that maybe it be vented from the top or side and at some point somebody took the cover off the top outlet. That didn’t make sense to me. I have 2 pictures of it but when I upload them they don’t work on here.

Jeff

Originally Posted By: rsummers

Jeff I have never Installed or serviced a HEIL 90% unit but that sounds like a likely conclusion. I think Bryant has a multi position 90% unit that had the same set up. It had a bunch of different things that had to be switched around when it went from up flow to horizontal. Hope the unit is not in a closet and the attic has good ventilation.

Originally Posted By: Tom Turner

Jeff:

You can contact Ivy Tech in Sellersburg. They have a very knowledgeable Professor (Brian Hornung) that if he does not know the answer he can get it. Brain and Jody Harral of Murry's Heating and Air in Louisville, teach HVAC training for our state association. (KREIA) If you have any questions you can e-mail me at inspections_bydesign@msn.com

Tom Turner