Hello Everyone. New inspector - 1st post

Just wanted to introduce myself to everyone. I’m a licensed architect in California since 1974, now living in Palos Verdes, CA. I started my own business back then, originally doing residential work. I built the business up over the years…designed hospitals, public schools, fire stations, hired staff, etc, etc, and in 2004 I decided to start taking life a little easier. Sold the business and went back to residential work which I really love, and started to play golf for the first time in my life…which I love even more, (despite the 36 handicap!). So, now I’m working less and fortunately, enjoying life more.

I decided to supplement the architectural work with doing home inspections. I’ve alway enjoyed construction and the nuts and bolts of the business, crawling around house, trying to figure out what was built when and how, so it is a good addition. I’m still in the education stage…haven’t really launched yet. I’ve been really impressed with InterNACHI. I’ve done 8 home study courses and they’ve been really good. Planning to do more. Keith Swift has taken me on two ridealongs and he’s been a great resource. I’ve been enjoying reading your posts, and if I can help anyone with any architectural issues, please get in touch.

Hello Jeff, and welcome to InterNachi!!!

Welcome, Jeff. :slight_smile:

You started in 74 in PV.? Those were the years!! I started “house flipping” in Venice/Marina del Rey is 76. Buy, remodel, sell. Miss those years!! If only I had known, some of the houses I owned are now worth a million three plus. Hate to think of prices in PV!!

Good luck, you certaintly have the right background. anf Keith Swift is probably the top of the line person to learn from.

I also, am doing home inspections, to supplement my SS, and my rapidly decling 401k “non retirement” income. Besides, it gets me out of the house, the wife likes that!!

I envy your golf handicap, mine is the entire par of the course"!!

Best of luck

To your point, I have a question for an Architect.

Some explaination:

1. In Illinois, no one (architect, SE, code inspector, contractor) is allowed to “inspect two or more systems of a residential property (regardless of size of number of units), for a fee, as part of a real estate transaction” other than a state licensed home inspector.

2. Only two trades are state licensed, roofers and plumbers. Not GCs or electricians or masons or carpenters.

3. Living in the “shadow of Chicago” unions have great power (the City of Chicago building dept. is, pretty much, run by the unions. It is impossible to get a state plumbing license without joining the union (not as part of the law, just because of the union pressure).

That said, I run into many issues that are, frankly, Architect Defects. The architect just plain designed it wrong. We have a weird climate (lake Michigan, go figure :mrgreen:). We have high humidity, pretty much, 3 seasons a year.

Standard double wythe masonry construction (cinder block structure with brick or stone or split faced block venners) have real problems.

The standard Architect detail is (from the outside in) veneer, air space (usually compromized with multiple mortar bridges) cinder block, 2" furring strips (metal), rigid foam, plastic sheeting (vapor barrier) and drywall.

Standard way the contractor actually builds the place, veneer, air space (with a LOT of mortar bridges) cinder block (un-grouted), ripped 2 x 4 (wood)furring strips, unfaced fiberglass (3.5" compressed to 1 5/8"), plastic sheeting and drywall.

The fiberglassed area becomes a water trap. The result, wet building syndrome.

Thus, with unsealed can lights and no vapor barrier at the ceiling (flat roofs with modified bitumen roofing, no flashing under the parapet wall coping stone (which is just 2", flat limestone) and fiberboard above OSB roof decking (fiberboard used to, kind of, create a drainage slope), the whole “system” traps water. Add to this that the wooden engineered truss floor joists are grouted into the joist pockets, the whole thing becomes just one big wood rot and mold farm.

And this is the common detail that architects call for and approve (the contractor’s changes).

I have had 4 buildings (3 level condos in townhouse style, 1st floor duplexed to the basement) that were only 1 1/2 - 2 years old that have been torn down!

Comments?

Call me (or indicate that I can call you). I would love the conversation.

Welcome!

Hey Jeff Welcome
My dad lives in camrillo, Ca
InterNachi Is a great place to learn. Just ask and they will help.
Cheers

Excellent !!! Another Jeff !! We’re starting to take over !!

Jeff

Hi Will,
Interesting issues…also frustating. Being in southern California I don’t get into a lot of high humidity issues, and don’t see a lot of double wythe masonry construction in my practice. I do know that many architects and contractors as well don’t understand the how’s and why’s of water intrusion, particular moisture problems caused by condensation. Seems from what you describe there may be leaks as well as condensation issues. It’s surprising to hear that details are drawn and approved with wood trusses directly grouted into masonry joist pockets. Where were the building dept. inspectors? Anyway, I’m going to email you an article on recommended vapor barrier placement in double wythe masonry. Sounds like you may already know this stuff, but I’ll send it anyway.

Hi Steve,
You and I probably crossed paths back then. I lived in Venice from 1971 to 1984. Bought and restored an old house on Grand Canal, about halfway between Washington blvd and Sherman Canal. I’ll email you a picture. Maybe you saw it.
Of course, you may not remember…as I always tell people, if you remember Venice in the '70’s, you weren’t there! Cheers, and hope you’re having as much fun as I am in this stage of life.

I lived there from 1974 to 1980.

On grand canal!! Great location! Would like to see that!!

I lived on Dell, half a block from the Venice Pier, just down from Alans market. Those were the days. Think those were the best years to live there. I had way to much fun, it was party city, probably aged me, but worth every minute of it.

I also, bought, remodeled, sold houses on Clune, Grayson, Tivoli, kinda all over the area, including a few in the culver city area. Still own a duplex on Washington Blvd.

Interesting part, is my grandfather had a real estate office in the old venice building, back when Venice was first being built/promoted!!

When I decided to sell the house, looked in PV Estates for a while, but decided to go south to Del Mar!

Life is good!!

Jeff welcome to NACHI.

Hi Jeff,
Welcome, I too am new at this business, I have been in building design and civil engineering for 35 plus years. I wish I had a mentor as you do . Learn all you can.

“Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism” George Washington, 1796

[quote=“jlyon1, post:10, topic:38481”]

Hi Steve,
You and I probably crossed paths back then. I lived in Venice from 1971 to 1984. Bought and restored an old house on Grand Canal, about halfway between Washington blvd and Sherman Canal. I’ll email you a picture. Maybe you saw it.
Of course, you may not remember…as I always tell people, if you remember Venice in the '70’s, you weren’t there! Cheers, and hope you’re having as much fun as I am in this stage of life./QUOT

I remember Venice, only by the stories others have said about me!! Twas fun years, at least from others have told me!! Pictures I wish to conceal, and wish others would throw away!!

The best of luck for your continued ventures!!

Simple fix, get rid of that plastic sheeting!
Thats an old school mistake!

And make sure dryers and bahrooms are vented properly to the exterior.

Hello,

Welcome…

Tim

Grew up in La Crescenta.
Welcome and good luck to ya.

Welcome!

[quote=“mgillingham, post:17, topic:38481”]

Grew up in La Crescenta.

I did the opposite, grew up in a small town in Iowa, and moved to Glendale!