Help needed in identifying WDO

Hello my fellow inspectors.
It’s my first time using the forum… Just got my CPI certification and currently progressing through the WDO course… I’ve noticed this fine powder slowly building up on my kitchen cabinet for a while now. I had originally assumed it was coming from the ceiling. However, there was no signs of damage or holes present every time I checked. I did wipe it off about 3 times already, but somehow it keeps building back up. Keep in mind, it takes a few months every time for it to be visible. Was wondering if anyone can help in clarifying if it is a WDO infestation, and if yes which species are most likely the cause…and best posible method of treatment. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

What makes you think this is WDO?
More info please.

oops did not see your comments before I asked. What is below, stove, fridge, or what. Condensation? (That may be my best guess.) Don’t think it is WDO.
Cheers

Is that cabinet frequently used? If so, likely the panel is loose and is rubbing/sanding itself every time it is open/closed.

1 Like

Looks like beetles.
Is the “powder” very fine like face powder?
Do you know if that is a hardwood or softwood material?
How long have the cabinets been there?

Thanks for the prompt reply guys… Sorry it seems the original post was delayed and only the photos was uploaded.

It’s the upper cabinet over the fridge directly under the ceiling. And I did check if it’s rubbing itself… no clues.

Well… I’d assumed it might be an infestation, bcuz there wasn’t any clues indicating that it’d be anything else or at least to the best of my knowledge. My windows are always tightly shut, the ceiling is intact, I hardly see any dust anywhere else in my house and the fact that it keeps building back up in the same location. Additionally, the presence of similar frass on the other side of the cabinet door.

Please correct me if I’m wrong… While going through the study materials in the WDO course, I came across a wood boring insect known as (Lyctid beetle). The nature and characteristics strangely seems to fit this condition. Powdery talc-like frass, no fecal pallets, they attack various types of wood furnitures. Nonetheless, no exit holes. So unless the wood originally contained eggs, I don’t see how they would have gained access inside the cabinet door.

I moved in about a year ago or so… it can’t be more than a couple of years old.

I have found powder post-Bettles in pine furniture.

1 Like

Not answered if those are hard or softwood cabinet doors.
So I’m not sure if it’s Anobiid or Lyctid beetles.
You have a choice - if the evidence is confined to the one door you can remove it. Or you can treat it & more surfaces with this, it’s good for finished wood without the need to sand it down.

Life cycles can be short or up to one year so depending on what stage they’re in it may take a while for control.
I’d treat twice, 1 month apart.
<<MG State Lic Termite/Lawn & Ornamental/Pest Control-Rodent Operator #2446 :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Thanks Mark, not sure about the wood type. It looks like cherry or oak so maybe hardwood. and yes it’s confined to only that location. I’ll go with the treatment option you recommended and see if helps. Thanks again, your advice is much appreciated.

1 Like

It looks like maple But I can’t smell it from here. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Agreed.
Most likely Mills Pride

2 Likes

Lol… yeah it’s always been a challenge for me to tell different types of woods apart, but I guess either way it is still hardwood.

1 Like

You could go to a lumber yard ( Lowes, Home depot ) and look at the grain, color, and smell. they all have a different smell and different look. The scratch and sniff test HAHA :grinning: Some smell good and some not so good.

Hahah… Thanks, good tip Scott. Hopefully I don’t get kicked out for being a wood sniffing weirdo :laughing:

1 Like

You probably will HAHA. :grinning: