help on a panel

Originally Posted By: cfuoco
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/n/napolitano_051.jpg ]

Originally Posted By: tschwalbe

I need to see some better pictures, possibly close-ups in order to evaluate the panel for you. Thank You.

Originally Posted By: jpope

Where do we start?

The panel is in terrible condition and is not allowed to have paint and plaster at its interior.

Grounds and neutrals are not (and never were) allowed to share terminations at the bus bars.

White conductors used as ungrounded conductors are required to be permanently re-identified.

The bonding jumpers (or whatever they are) from the main disconnect to the bus bars and EGC are questionable.

What did you come up with on your own Carmine?

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: pdickerson

In addition, I would call out the corrosion.

Was the panel bonded properly. I can't tell from the photo.

Originally Posted By: fbartlo

for the main panel. Certainly nothing suitable for 200A.

Also, the red wire on the top left breaker indicates the possibility of its sharing a common neutral with another circuit that may be on a breaker that is of the same polarity, which could overload the neutral without either breaker tripping to protect it. I couldn't sort out which other hot, if any, it shared the neutral with from this pic. Such circuits should be on a dual-ganged breaker (like a dryer or stove would have) to ensure opposite polarity so the current from each circuit would have a subtractive effect on that of the other in the neutral.

The top right breaker appears to have a neutral attached to it, but I couldn't follow where that white wire goes in the mess. And the dual-ganged breaker on the bottom left is apparently wired such that they used the white & black wires as 2 hots without marking the white wire, and the circuit breaker is oversized (30A). ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif) Come to think about it, that's what may be going on with the white wire to the top right breaker as well, but it's not a 240V circuit.

And there are also the ends of some wires visible on the right that are cut off, and don't attach to anything in the panel.

Wouldn't be surprised if there are 14 gauge wires going to 20 amp breakers in this mess, either, though I couldn't tell from the pic.[/i]