Help. Please critique this mock inspection form developed for InterNACHI schools.

Only G_d is the judge. Nevertheless, quiver from the worried is haughtily dismissed as unworthy of response.

Another incoherent post . You type in syllables. What up with that?

Heck, don’t read my posts, it’s stressful. You may damage your vacuous fragile cranium.:wink:

The proposed checklist reports on cosmetic defects, whereas the SOP says “an inspection will not deal with aesthetic concerns or what could be matters of taste, cosmetic defects, etc”…2, 2.1, III.

Another suggestion may be to add verbage with crawlspace entrance too small to enter safetly (I believe less than 18"x24"). About a month ago an agent ripped me a new one (I was inspecting a 1895 home she wanted to purchase) since I disclaimed the crawlspace since the opening was 8"x16". She wanted it in writing that it was standard practice. Having it on the checklist may save an inspector a couple of minutes of confusion.

just hit a few

Link didn’t work, Barry.

Many statements like this…

Would likely never be accurate / selected without being able to expand/describe areas. When components are not inspected, it’s usually due to restriction/access and would apply to an area of the home or component. Would tweak and allow to list areas etc

Breezing through… it needs a bit of work,

You may want to post in .doc format and ask for some volunteers

Roofs are inspected in many other ways than that of by eaves or ground, you would also never see evidence of a leak while on the roof, you would find conditions conducive to leaks if left unrepaired, or areas of roof in need of repair etc.

You wouldn’t inspect a Heating system by using normal controls… a system can produce heat or cool air by use of normal controls.

Also… things like

“I inspected the interior water supply, including all fixtures and faucets, by running the water.”

If used by students, would go a long way of communicating things by learning to state what we do and don’t do.

“I inspected the visible portions of the interior water supply, including all fixtures and faucets, by running the water.” These statements should be improved, as to help students learn how to better communicate findings.

Just a couple thoughts…

Man, where to start? First of all most inspection programs that can be used on site have all of this and can be programmed right into programs like 3D.

First of all if the purpose is to help ‘train’ a person, then its a poor start. If someone is going to use an “inspection” protocol and “report” we are screwed and they days of a commodidity are here.

With that said, the pages have no rhyme or reason. The very first thing a new inspector needs to learn is consistency and repetition. Without a single doubt in my mind, the number one failure for mistakes is the lack of a consistent process when inspecting. I do understand weather can play a factor on this from time to time, but for the most part do the exact same thing over and over is the only way to succeed. (My opinion only of course).

Second, at least put the sections in a coherant order. Does it make sense for a inspector to check the roof first or the attic first? I would say the attic, we had a house the other day that if I checked the roof first I would have fallen through the roof due to a large wood rot piece of sheathing.

I also think it is better to check the electrical panel before checking the appliances. What if there is a signficant defect in the panel for the AC and you turn the AC on first?

Getting newer inspectors to realize there is realtivity to each things, should be addressed. Such as the roof is relative to the attic which is relative to the interior…etc

Either consider NOT numbering the pages, because people we feel that is the “order” they should be in, or put them in a rational order (trouble is there are some arguements for doing things at different times) just so the inspector can put them in the order they inspect so they are not flipping around like an idiot.

Also can you put this on a PDF filler? So the newer guy can use a small computer device and carry it around or something like that? Paper is so…antiquated.

The very first things “inspected” when entering the area has nothing to do with the house you are inspecting. I prefer to get a “feel” for the neighborhood. I like to see if many of the other houses in the area have new roofs, new AC’s, and just the overall feel for the vacinity. (Remember most of my areas the neighborhoods were built around the same time).

Weather conditions need to be noted. I have 4 thermal infrared cameras, 8 protimeter moisture meters and not a single one of them can find a leak if it hasn’t rained. Believe it or not, we get asked ALL the time, is the stain in the attic wet (hasn’t rained for 4 months). I then have to explain there is not a roof in this world that will leak if it never rains. So this alone can explain a very significant limitation as well as snow, sleet, rain and other factors.

When there is a mayraid of options why not just leave a little place to write it in? Other:__________

Roof - Why is it roof covering materials and not just roofing material? Are we insecting the roof or a tarp over it? As previously mentioned there are other way to inspect a roof, like pole camera, walked on, or from the ground without the use of a ladder, 3 story house a ladder doesn’t do too many that good. Believe it or not, we are not all fat, old and lazy some of us actually WALK on the roof! What a concept, huh?

What the hell is not within the scope of the inspection? Every single portion of a roof needs to be reported on. WITHOUT exception. Even if its, I could not inspect it due to ------. Not within the scope of the inspection? Is this for a partial inspection report? If it is to be used for a partial inspection report, then just don’t use these pages. I feel that giving someone the “option” of “Not within the scope of the inspection” would allow them to feel they can just “skip” it. NO, NEVER, EVER, EVER…is ANYTHING in our SOP not within the scope of the inspection. It ALL must be reported on, even if it is reporting that you did NOT inspect it, which is very very very important. Don’t let a newer person forget this, which I think is one very big area people get into trouble.

Who came up with the order of this form? You tell people what you can’t do before you tell them what kind of roofing material it is? How about roof shape, material, overall condition as the first three questions? Damnit Nick this is a horrible horrible form. Looks like you want to give a newer person every freakin excuse NOT TO INSPECT. Here is a checklist for you to NOT do anything.

Throw this POS out the window and start over. How about guiding the newer inspector to ACTUALLY inspect instead of telling people why they can’t inspect!

How about starting like this: ROOF

1. Shape (give the shapes)
  2. Material: (give the materials)
  3. Condition: (just a general good, fair, poor) something for a baseline
  4. Roof was walked on, if not what was the reason. To high, too steep, rain, snow.

See what I mean…look at #4 a newer person reading that will think the standard IS to walk a roof not 500 excuses not to walk on a roof.

Scrap it and start over big time. This only leads to confusion and ambiguity.

If this a checklist on “how to perform” an inspection in its abreviated form, please do not send this one out. It is an embarrassment to the organization and to the profession.

Sorry if it is a bit harsh, it just really sucks bad…

Nick when writing this, think of a process that is professional to obtain, not so simple anyone can do it. If you are the leader of the Inspection World, then act like a leader and set standards that people work to achieve not set so low anyone can achieve…Lead damnit!

Because you can’t see some roofing material, but you can see roof covering material.

No, the roof comes first because if you get to the property early and don’t have access, you don’t want to wait around doing nothing. Most inspectors in the industry to the outside first because of this.

You can’t walk all roofs for numerous reasons.

The instructors want it on paper, probably so that students aren’t messing with devices in the field.

Good idea John.

Thank you Bob.

All good suggestions, everyone. Thank you.

Remember though, new students will be using this paper, mock inspection, reporting forms to train on. The checklist will simply “mirror” InterNACHI’s residential Standards of Practice, and not enable one to exceed said standard.

Under each section that deals with utilites, “I did not inspect (insert component) because utility (gas, water, electric, etc.) was off during the inspection.”

I agree "Roof " should be listed first even though it may in my case be the last thing checked due to the fact that there are times when the length of an inspection continues past when the turn key can remain present and I can always do it later while locked out if necessary.
Might add Russ is right the attic should when practical be done before the roof for safety reasons…

My main point is we all usually list Roof<Exterior<Structure first because so may of us learned that pattern when being taught and it has become standard.

Report table of contents often has no correlation to inspection pattern.

There is a WHOLE house under the roof…walls, siding, cut offs, windows, exterior doors, compressors, driveways, sidewalks, retaining walls, pools (if you do them) Air quality exterior (if you do them), set up the ladder…Whole bunch of stuff it you get there “early”…

So we now forgo safety for the convenience of speed? Do as you like its your organization.

What was Bobs response, that makes sense to check the attic first , but I usually don’t because that is the way I was trained…SEE…TRAIN them right from the beginning…

O well…it is what it is…