Help with a Polybutylene "Disclaimer"

Thanx Marcel,timthumb_php_.jpg and here’s a map of affected areas (Kitec)
Marcel, your link shows the Nevada Kitec class action suit being settled in Dec 09.
Have you been around any issues with Kitec problems in Maine?

Joe, never seen it up here nor can I find any information that would relate it to Maine.
Glad this topic came up, now I can keep an eye out for it.
No alternative repairs for this pipe. Total replacement required.
Found the link where you got that map. Stored it for future use.

Here is that website for good info- http://kiteclawsuit.com/

I had found it Joe as I mentioned above. Thanks:)

Kitec is not PEX piping…

http://www.deltamechanical.com/multifamily/kitec-repipe/

Correct. Two completely different animals.

Brian, my qoute / question from above- Isn’t Kitec the same as PEX, or PEX is the plastic / polyethelene in the Kitec?
I always thought it was different but looking at different sites has confused me with the notion that the layers of polyethylene is called PEX.
Besides why would a qoute frome the fixer upper company website you are quoting be a ligit representation???
Qoutes from website I mentioned above-
Kitec PEX pipe is color-coded blue for cold water lines, and orange for hot water.
The Kitec plumbing system consists of both pipe and fittings. Kitec water pipe was manufactured as a composite cross-linked polyethylene (“PEX”) and aluminum (“AL”) pipe, whereby a thin, flexible aluminum layer was “sandwiched” between inner and outer layers of PEX plastic. Thus, Kitec water pipe was commonly referred to as “PEX-AL-PEX” pipe
Brian, I’m not trying to debate with you, just want to clear this up. Either way we need to know the issues of Kitec wether it is the same as PEX or not. I hope you see the reason for my confusion. Besides the fact that I’m often confused.

Hey Jeff, if it’s two completely different animals there must have been some cross breeding. :mrgreen:
www.lawyersandsettlements.comlawyersandsettlements.co
Kitec PEX Pipe: The Fuse May Already Be Lit…

[FONT=Arial][size=1][FONT=Verdana][size=2]
It quacks like a duck, looks like a duck, called a duck, but it is not a real duck. :):mrgreen:

KITEC PEX-AL-PEX pipe is coextruded, cross-linked,
polyethylene, composite pressure pipe with a welded
aluminum tube reinforcement between the inner and outer
layers. The products are pressure-rated for 100 psi (689 kPa)
at 180[/size][/FONT][/size][/FONT]/F (82/C). Ends of the piping loops are connected to
the water source through manifolds that allow the flow in
individual loops to be regulated. Radiant floor heating
systems consist of separate loops of piping conveying hot
water under floors for heating purposes.

The pipe is marked at minimum intervals of 5 feet (1524 mm)
with the IPEX name, product designation (KITEC), material
designation (PEX-AL-PEX), nominal tube size, potable water
designation, temperature and pressure ratings, ASTM F 1281
designation, name of the inspection agency (NSF
International) and the evaluation report number (ESR-1049).

Kitec is a brand of brass plumbing fitting that was recalled in 2005 by its manufacturer, IPEX, due to its tendency to quickly corrode. Inspectors should be aware that the fitting, which was widely installed throughout the western United States since the early 1990s, might be the cause of some plumbing ailments encountered during inspections.

What is Kitec?

Kitec is a type of pipe that is made of cross-linked polyethylene (PEX), a type of plastic. The pipes use a metric standard of sizing making it hard to find to find fittings outside of it’s own manufacturer.
The problem is that the Kitec fittings were inferior, made with a high zinc content which caused dezincifying. The zinc oxide builds up and restricts water pressure causing very low pressure, or, the fittings failed completely and caused flooding and water damage to homes and property.

How to I tell if I have Kitec Piping?
Look for piping with different colors. Most Kitec Pex pipe was color-coded. Blue for cold water, orange for hot water. Look for the presence of a neon sticker on, or inside the electrical box indicating the presence of Kitec Pex pipe, which has been used extensively over the last ten to 15 years.

So I guess I’m the only one seeing the ducks?? Actually I don’t think I ever saw the ducks, they were doves.!!!
PEX floating away. But you should put your disclaimers with Kitec not just PB as I originally claimed or intended.
If you’re not going to pay attention don’t listen. Happy Mday

:mrgreen:

Marcel, what does that mean? It’s memorial day for a few more hours?? I can still see the ducks, I mean doves…

I myself was not aware of Kitec piping untill you posted Joseph…

Thank You… :smiley:

OK… now I am REALLY confused. Is Kitec really PEX in sheeps clothing?? It sounds like there could be a problem with PEX piping??? :wha?:-X](*,)

No. PEX tubing does not contain aluminum.

Kitec consists of plastic-coated aluminum piping joined to brass fittings.

PEX is cross-linked polyethylene, which is a polymer of ethylene; especially : any of various partially crystalline** lightweight thermoplastics **(CH2CH2)