Help with sub-panel

Originally Posted By: bbyars
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

This is from an inspection earlier today, the home was owner built and for the most part constructed quite well. However, I could use some help with the electrical sub-panel…

![](upload://ufYuLKtAmYEjmCGvqIhVrAs0gjU.jpeg)

Comments?

Thanks,
Bruce

Originally Posted By: hgordon

3. No expansion room.

Cant see much more...hope that helps.

--
Harvey Gordon
SE Florida NACHI Chapter - President
hgordon@fl.nachi.org

Originally Posted By: lkage

Bruce, along with what Harvey said, there appears to be a double tapped breaker at the 10th from the bottom on the right.

Now I know Square D makes a "gull wing" washer, for lack of a better description, that can accept 2 wires but this breaker looks like both wires are on the same side of the screw which wouldn't be according to the manufacturers installation instructions.

Also, the neutral wire that appears to be used as a hot is not identified as such.

Hope this helps.

--
"I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him."
Galileo Galilei

Originally Posted By: bbadger

The first thing that catches my eye is the lack of white wires connected to the neutral terminal bars on either side of the main.

I see 23 single pole breakers and only about 13 white wires on the neutral bars.

Are the other white wires just out of frame or are they connected to the grounding bars?

A sub panel may or may not have a main breaker contained in it.

The only way to determine if a panel is a service panel or a sub panel is to know if the panel can be shut off from another location on the premise.

Think of it this way.

1) If the homeowner can kill the power to a panel from a switch or breaker located anywhere else on the property that panel is a sub panel.

2)If the only way to kill the power to the panel is a call to the power company or physically cut the service wires than you have a service panel.

Edit; When I say 'kill the power to the panel' I mean the wires feeding the panel are dead. I do not mean simply turning off the 'main' in the panel.

It is entirely possible (very unusual) to have up to 6 service panels. However now in many areas large houses are going with two - 200 amp service panels.

If you want to be able to tell if the neutral and grounding wires can be mixed you have to be able to tell if you are looking at a sub panel or a service panel.

The points about the AFCIs are good ones. ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

--
Bob Badger
Electrical Construction & Maintenance
Moderator at ECN

Thanks for the reply’s!

This is in fact a sub panel located in the garage (attached), the main disconnect is just on the other side (exterior).

You have helped greatly, I remember seeing somewhere that splices (wire nuts) are not allowed in service panels.....I have looked through my reference materials and cannot find anything as yet regarding this.

Thanks again for the help!

Originally Posted By: pdickerson

With regard to the wire nuts in the panel, I don’t belive that there is any prohibition in the NEC against it. It does sometimes indicate sloppy work. There generally isn’t a reason to splice wires in the panel, unless someone accidentally cut a wire to short.

One instance where you might see wire nuts in a panel is when a generator switch has been installed. I can't tell if that is the case from the photo.

Right on Paul!

A generator was installed as back-up service.

You guys are awesome!

Thanks for the replies and the assistance.

Regards,

Bruce