Here we go again

70 mm of rain fell in 24 hrs
Several road closures in effect due to flooding (8:30 a.m. update)

Monday, November 18, 2013 by: SooToday.com Staff

http://www.sootoday.com/userfiles/images/Road%20Signs/RoadClosedAhead.jpg

NEWS RELEASE
CITY OF SAULT STE. MARIE
(Sault Ste. Marie, ON) As of 8:30 a.m. Monday morning the City of Sault Ste. Marie would like to advise the public to avoid the following roadways until further notice due to heavy rainfall and flooding conditions. These roadways are not passable due to high water conditions.

1. Frontenac Street easterly from 646 Frontenac Street (Northland Trailer Park)
 		2. Allen’s Side Road from Avery Road to Fourth Line West
 		3. Intersection of Farwell Terrance and Johnson Avenue
 		4. Base Line from Town Line to Airport Road
 		5. Town Line from Second Line to Base Line
 		6. Fifth Line from Great Northern Road to the City Landfill
 		7. Fourth Line East from Old Goulais Bay Road to Great Northern Road
 		8. Sackville Road from Mary Avenue to 128 Sackville Road

The City Landfill site located at 402 Fifth Line East is also closed due to a power outage.

The public is advised to use caution as culverts have been washed away, and manhole covers and catch basins may be missing.

Roadway shoulder conditions may also be hazardous. Please take notice  of barricades and construction cones erected for public safety.

Motorists should also be aware of possible black ice conditions due to potential falling temperatures later today.

Damage assessment and repairs will be ongoing by City Works crews  until all areas affected by the rainstorm have been addressed.

The City of Sault Ste. Marie thanks citizens for their cooperation and patience during this rainfall period.

Gee I wonder how we would complain if it was below freezing and that was snow .
No go any where for a week or so.

For our southern friends
70 mm of rain is about 3 inches of water = about 30 inches of snow

People are still coming out from the last storm Roy. Early reports is that many have water in the basements. As you know there will be no insurance coverage for many.
As soon as I have pictures I will post them.

I just had an update from my insurance company, they altered one of the clauses to add an exclusion. They will no longer cover any flood damage if the water comes above ground level.

Does anyone else know of a definition of flood that doesn’t match this criteria?