Here's a certification that means something...

1. With only 400 CMIs in the world, it would hard to find “peers” to evaluate.
  2. CMI already requires both of these.
  3. CMI already requires this.
  4. CMI already does this.
  5. CMI is a level. Do you mean different levels of CMIs?

Peer eval - Should be easy to do. If a meeting cannot take place, reports can be given and assessed via the INTERNET. Can they not?
More years and more inspections
What is the amount of annual credits one needs? Never knew that.

You VERIFY nothing. You sign and drive. I sign an affidavit that says I am did such and such. No real verification process. Like calling the references. reading a small portion of the reports, verifying they are in fact competent to become a member of an esteemed class.

Different levels of CMI…Yes…what do guys who have this aspire to be? Is this it? Same as I said last night.

When I say APPROVED by a BOARD…I mean really evaluated and APPROVED by actual people who REVIEW the applicants credentials. I emailed my stuff in and paid my Credit card and was approved the next day. Either you are SUPER fast…or, well…didn’t really scrutinize my stuff.

The present system seems to easy to get into. Maybe its just me, who knows.

I disagree, had CMI been too difficult I simply would have bagged it, I was a successful independent home inspector prior to becoming a CMI and not too much has changed since, and that is why I classify it as a right of passage.

At the point in my career when I qualified for CMI I did not need to prove anything to anyone, and most likely it is the same with you. CMI simply signifies that I got where I am within the accepted standards of practice set forth for our profession.

B.S. Russell. I review every application myself and sent back 2 of 4 applications last month. Also, CMI does not now and has never accepted credit cards, so how could you have paid by credit card? Me thinks you make this stuff up.

Joe Burkeson’s view:

Correct.

You got it Nick…CMI is great your perfect and the world is awesome. Have with with your perfection complex for the rest of your life. No wonder people are leaving.

You wonder why your cream of the crop leave your website and seldom come back. Its not the education, its you and your refusal to listen to a phuking thing anyone says. I will admit you can market and you do have one hell of an educational website. You defend the undefendable and I have never once seen where you have admitted where you were wrong, (your sheep will post a link, I am sure they are looking for it now). You and your God complex will eventually bring this association down. I see how you get these people to think your something then work their assess off so they can fill your pockets with money. Kinda funny actually. There is really nothing in it for them, the only one who gains is you.

Sad thing is I was almost one of them! I almost paid $1000 to promote your CMI program! What a freakin tool I was. Glad I caught it before the money was out there. I would rather spend that on my OWN promotion. What REALLY would it have gotten me? A little exposure. What would it have gotten you? A TON OF EXPOSURE and income. So I might gain a little but you WILL gain a ton and what cost to you?

I bet you sit at home and count your money and laugh at 1/2 the people working for free to better your organization and increase your revenue. If they like that kinda thing, more power to them. Does it not even matter to you that people who once used to come here have sought refuge elsewhere? Have you not wondered why? I see Dale Duffy has you scared sheetless with his organization. Now I see your huge push on commercial inspections, because he has that all going well. He has the best people over there and they are happy and productive.

These offspring of organizations will kick up and continue to slowly flourish and they may not take your core member, which is a newbie who actually contributes very little and never even really participates. But the cream will eventually see your land of OZ for what it is. A playground for an Egotistical man.

I will take the closing words of one member…

Sad but true.

CMI simply signifies that I got where I am within the accepted **LOW **standards of practice set forth for our profession.

A MARKETING GIMMICK ONLY!!!

Sad but true.

Nick, I think what Russel wants is important, and maybe you would have more than 400 if the goals were more challenging.

The CMI is accomplished mainly just by being in business and eventually getting to the threshhold of the qualifications required, but there is nothing that challenges your knowledge or ability as an inspector to verify that you truly have the experience to call yourself this.

This is what my other post was about, and people wanted to give me crap over.
It’s not about another logo, or marketing scheme, or a way to gain business.

Its about having your peers evaluate your ability as an inspector, and sucessfully completing the goals set. This provides you with a challenge, sense of acomplishment, and respect from those who have met the standards.

Sean:

Maybe if we hit him over the head enough, he’ll consider changes…but, then, he is the KING here. Not that I matter much here…I’d join if there were better and rigorous/defendable designations here…OH! I forgot this is really the INACHI STORE…not a true association!

I am sure there are many others that have yor same sentiments.

I think that, if changes are needed, it will come from the inside.

By that, I mean that when CMI’s find that they are not able to justify the higher fees that they aspired to, they will contact Nick with some suggestions.

When it is the malcontent newby to the program or some outsider who (like McNeish) will simply find some other way to disparage the program even after his ideas were implemented…nobody really pays attention.

Nick has always paid attention to legitimate complaints and criticisms and has used them to improve many projects. No one wants to quiet you guys. While your intentions are obviously NOT to improve the program but to draw attention to what you consider to be drawbacks to it…it still provides Nick with fresh ways of looking at how to make CMI even better and stronger than it is.

Keep yapping. Your efforts are having the much opposite effect than their intent.

You know Jim,
You always seem to find a way to twist what I have said or others and find a way to insult or belittle to your advantage.
Russell is outspoken and a cmi, and The outsider expressed his reasoning for NOT joining… This in itself should be something that would be benefitial info.

As for yourself, the short time I have visited this message board I have found your attitude has ran off many persons who try and provide insight and help others grow. You are not the King of the message board, and while I have found some of your information helpful, you like to insult more than help.

You have no knowledge of my abilities or past history and judge my tenure soley on my membership here. I have every right to express my opinions here and I refuse to be pushed away because You think your opinion is law in all aspects.

When I feel you respect others then I will start taking your words more seriously. SO until then, just keep stirring the pot.

2003 thru 2006 were heady times in a smoking hot real estate market I averaged over 300 inspections a year, tough to do today. Like I said CMI was something that was on the horizon and by 2007 swiftly became an image in my rear view mirror.

As far as CMI is concerned… I am a true pragmatist in that if you can’t use your accomplishments to market your services really then what good are they? After all I’m a businessman who competes with others in a marketplace where the best & brightest get to share success while 80% of the others go back to flippin’ burgers.

BTW… Take my advice and save your crayons for your coloring book and instead develop your communication skills, they’re far more important than any certification. :stuck_out_tongue:

It is Jim’s stock and trade.

Sad but true.

Very true words. From my own experience CMI hasn’t hurt my business and often the case when it wasn’t price shoppers on the line, made the difference between being hired and not. Just got a job day before yesterday standing in my garage discussing on the phone inspection prices with a Realtor who said they knew someone who could do it for half my price. Then when we started talking about experience, qualifications, etc. they had a flash of reasoning. Price shoppers are only interested in one thing until you can get them to look beyond the immediate costs and see the long range costs and effects could eat them for lunch. And you don’t have slam anyone in particular, just pose the right questions and make them come to their own conclusion…and don’t appear desperate for work as that defeats your whole premise.

Yep. And unlike ICC or IAC2 or InterNACHI or Infrared Certified, etc… “I charge a little more because I’m a Certified Master Inspector” is understandable to consumers who aren’t familiar with our industry terms. Works every time. It’s the plain language professional designation.

“I charge a little more because I’m a Certified Master Inspector” is understandable to consumers who aren’t familiar with our industry terms. They can be bamboozled by a gimmick…works every time. It’s the plain language professional designation.

These are the same folks that bought that choice piece of Florida land site unseen and then bought into the incredible, fantastic, “really works” energy producing air exchanger mentioned about 20 months ago by a member here. SAD!! SAD! SAD!!

Brian I could join ASHI but do not wish to as I have what I need right here.
How am I filling Nicks coffers when for $289 I get so many benefits.
Heck just this Monday I had 40 books sent to me that more than pay for a years membership dues.

Since you hate Nick so much and think his vision of himself is Omnipotent leading to future downfall ,why would you be here giving advice to curtail that possible future?
Seems you should just clam up and let it happen.

Makes no sense to argue your case in front of a home town crowd that unlike you, paid for the right to criticize.

Brian A. MacNeish This message is hidden because Brian A. MacNeish is on your ignore list.

I’m done with this asshole ASHI brother or not. :wink: