HGTV's House detective

Originally Posted By: eporter
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hello all,

Does anyone watch the House Detective on HGTV? I watched it for the first time last night.

I did find it amusing that one inspector showed up in a Porsche convertible. (What would YOUR clients think if your inspection vehicle was an expensive sports car?) icon_rolleyes.gif

I would like to get your opinion of the show. I have some reservations, but I will hold them until I hear from some of you.

Ed Porter
Cornerstone Home Inspection Services, Inc.
Grand Haven, MI

Originally Posted By: Mike Parks

Remember he was dealing with a doctor.

He also stated that the house might burn down because there were no equipment grounds for the outlets.

Mike P.

Originally Posted By: wcampbell

Remember also, It’s a TV Show, not real life.

This Ole House-Home Inspections

William A. Campbell TREC # 6372

Serving the Texas Coastal Bend

(361) 727-0602 (home)

(361) 727-0055 (office)

(361) 229-4103 (cell)

Originally Posted By: Guest

I filmed an episode a year ago, but have yet to watch one.

Jim Morrison

Originally Posted By: ekartal

It’s always some funky lookin’ house!

Erol Kartal
ProInspect

Originally Posted By: dhartke

I’ve seen it a few times. They tell us up front it is not the complete inspection but that is a severe understatement. Why show 5% of two inspections in a 30 minute show? At least do a fast scan of all the places the HI really did go. It’s an insult of the profession. Why would a home buyer or seller spend good money for an inspection if that is all they had to base an opinion of the procedure? He said that broken bracket between the water heater and its flue would cost a couple hundred. Wow! He said he wasn’t sure about the cement beneath the brick columns was enough. Personally I would probe a little and I certainly wouldn’t call concrete—cement. I’ve worked with concrete quite a bit and used to drive a mix truck but the only people I know of that work with cement are at the batch plant or occasionally on site and mixing it with sand and water to make grout or with rock, sand, and water to make a small quantity of concrete. This confusion of basic terms from a veteran HI?

That show is a joke.