HI and Community College

Originally Posted By: eharden
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hello all,

Any ideas on how to get Home Inspection added to the curriculum of community colleges here in Maryland? I have checked with some of the Baltimore area colleges and their offering of HI classes is virtually non existent. While for the most part I like the one week classes, I think that they should not be the only option for training. I have heard that some of the classes offered at Pennsylvania community colleges are very good. Comments?

Eric Harden

First Choice Inspection Services

"That which does not kill me, makes me stronger."

Originally Posted By: clawrenson

a?

Originally Posted By: eharden

Claude,

Thank you for your feedback. I will certainly look into it. I believe that Maryland currently has an inactive law that requires a 48 hour accredited training course be taken and passed. My problem is that the training centers around here (and nationwide as well?) try to cram that 48 hours into a one week course. I think that is too much learning to be absorbed in one week. Personally, I would like to see the time requirement at least doubled, but spread out over a much longer time period. That is what made me think of trying to get the course into a community college.

Eric Harden

First Choice Inspection Services

"That which does not kill me, makes me stronger."

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi Eric,

I teach at my local community college here in Mass, we run an 8 part course each element of which is one night a week for 3 hours over 6 weeks, that makes the course in total over 140 hrs. It is geared to getting new inspectors through NHIE which is a state requirement here in Massachusetts.

I think many colleges would be happy to run HI courses, the problem is lack of instructors, or lack of time by people who would be able to teach, to put courses together. every 3 hour segment of my courses takes 1 day to research, write and put together, in other words the whole program if started from scratch would take 2 months to write.

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: rpalac

Does anyone know what colleges and specific courses are offered in Pa?

I would be very interested in a course around the Philadelphia area. Since I’m still in school it might apply to continuing ed as well as earn a couple of extra credits in my degree program…

I've taken some courses at Drexel, "Construction Materials and Methods". These are great courses and directly tie into the proper use and installation of materials. It is more for the project management of commercial buildings but it does have a direct tie to what we do.
Drexel also offers code courses, however I have not taken them as yet.
I will look into this if anyone is interested.

Bob