HI Training Schools

Originally Posted By: Larry O’Connor
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I’ve looked through 4 training catalogs or websites trying to determine

the best one to sign up for.

All but PITI appear to be either ASHI or NAHI approved courses.
No mention is made of NACHI

Why is that.? As a NACHI member, should I be concerned that
most HI training schools are geared toward ASHI or NAHI.

Is NACHI working with other HI schools or colleges (outside of PA.),
to develop NACHI approved courses?

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi Larry,

The reason that most training establishments are ASHI or NAHI approved is because many of their owners are or have been senior members of those organizations. Alot of the training providers are basing their approval on politics not common sense, as they would rather fight old battles than recognize NACHI as the fastest growing sector or the HI org market. Their mistake.

Please let me know where abouts you are located and I will help you find a good school, that will recognize us.

BTW. good education is good education, and I will accept CEU's from any valid training org, whether they endorse us or not. this is a vendor problem not a NACHI one. ![icon_evil.gif](upload://1gvq2wV2azLs27xp71nuhZOKiSI.gif)

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: dbowers

We didn’t understand your posting. For one thing - PITI is not in Pennsylvania - its in Kansas. PITI is approved by NACHI, NAHI, and ASHI and I’m sure many of the others are too. We recently discovered that ASHI for instance might award credits to a training facility(and then charges the facility annually to review their coursework for approval) - but then will also charge these facilitys another fee ($750 - $1,000 p/yr) to be placed on ASHI’s web site (like being listed in the Yellow Pages).

I'll bet that many schools or correspondence courses that are approved by NACHI may simply not have changed their web sites or catalogs to reflect that. Next you need to understand that although NACHI has a strong Internet presence TODAY - in most areas of the country, people (including home inspectors) had never heard of NACHI just even 2 years ago. ASHI is about 28 years old and NAHI is 17 years old.

Originally Posted By: Larry O’Connor

Gerry

Thank You for your response and clarification.

I live in Southwest Michigan. About an hour from Grand Rapids
and about 3 1/2 hours from Detroit. I'm just over the Indiana/Michigan
border.

I have a list of 6 schools I will be showing to a Michigan employment
office representative on Monday.

This will be for the Workforce Investment Act (WIA) Dislocated
workers program.

I would like to take the AHIT 7 day course in Detroit in April, but
we'll see what WIA says.

Dan, Thank you for your feedback on the schools.

I did not mention that PITI was in Pa. I just asked if NACHI was
negotiating any training programs with colleges in states outside of Pa.

Regards,
Larry

Originally Posted By: ebeahm1

Gerry,

I am in Atlanta, GA and I’m trying to find a Radon Testing Operators Course. The nearest thing I found so far was in Gettysburg, PA in May. I’m looking to get radon certified as part of the NACHI HI Business Makeover Jump Start Program.

If you know of anything closer, I’d appreciate your help.

Earl

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi to all,

As several people have asked me in the last week about radon training, I am posting somer links under a new topic in this forum.

here is a link to the new topic:

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/viewtopic.php?p=34096#34096

Earl the closest training to you is through Radalink in Atlanta Ga

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: ebeahm1

Gerry,

I’m aware if Radalink, but they do not have anything scheduled in the SE at least through July and neither does Auburn Univ. I was hoping someone knew of another company or school with courses offered in the SE in the next 3 mos.

Earl

Originally Posted By: Susan

Hi Larry,

AHIT is a decent school (of course I'm biased as I went there for my HI training). PITI was my first choice but time was a factor so I had to go to AHIT, Waukesha, WI.

Wherever you decide to go, get the most out of it that you can!! Even more important is the continuing education. The profession requires this; your clients benefit and consequently your business will prosper!!

If you'd like, you can PM me and I'd be happy to answer questions you may have.

Sue Cieslewicz

Originally Posted By: rhinck

Larry,

The same goes for me- Iam an AHIT graduate also.

Rick Hinck

Heads Up Home Inspections, Inc.

Originally Posted By: B Ray

Larry, the thing I might recommend is find out what you want to learn in a school . Don’t go in expecting more than you may recieve, find out what each school offers and choose the one that gives you more what you are looking for.

Originally Posted By: LJ Johnson

My dad was a structural engineer and home builder. I worked with him for years. I had 3 years of college in architectural design and over 15 years in construction. About 3 years ago I was getting divorced and was bored with my life. After looking at different careers, I decided home inspections was for me. With ALL of my experience and training I SURE didn’t need to go to a On-Site classroom training school. I could buy a correspondence course and learn everything I needed to know. Thats how I started.

A year later I realized that I was really good at marketing and getting business, BUT REALLY mediocre as an inspector and I knew a lot about 1 or 2 systems and nothing about a whole lot of systems. I looked around me and saw most other inspectors I'd met were the same as me.

I had relatives in Texas, Wisconsin, and Southern California. I had a real good college buddy living outside Kansas City and discovered there were home inspection schools in each area. Over a 3 month period I visited each one. The 1 in Dallas was the cheapest; the 2 that were in Wisconsin and Southern California had classes every month and would have been real easy to get into (they said they put 20-30 people in each class). The one in Kansas only taught 5 classes a year and limited the number of students to no more than 8 to a class (if I remember right).

After looking at all 4 schools, I chose the one in Kansas because of their attitude (they spent a lot of time talking to me to make sure home inspection was right for me - and because all of their instuctors had over 10 years hands-on field experience as inspectors).

I've been very happy with the training I got from them. I've met other inspectors that told me they're picky and turn away more students than they take.

LJ Johnson

Originally Posted By: LJ Johnson

P.S. Almost forgot - the schools called PITI in Kansas.