High eff furnace flue

OK time for a secret…err on the side of caution.
Better to be wrong for missing and forgetting or better over cautious ?

Up to you dude.

Don’t worry you use RecallCheK, your clients are covered. :stuck_out_tongue:

How about erring on the side accurate information when you can provide it.

So tell me. Based on the OP’s photo what would your report say?

I have only found one furnace that had a recall.

Read all my posted material (your a clever guy).

Hope you do not say it is the way to go.

Did not even mention all the dust,pest potential,noise ,etc.
Who you want to look out for ?:roll:

Ever run a PVC pipe…pretty easy.

What does easy have to do with it. It is quite frustrating that I can’t have an intelligent conversation with you. This is about the installation in the photo. Less efficient, stupid, noisy and easy to upgrade don’t make it wrong.

It may be wrong, but we don’t have the information to confirm that and to put that its wrong in a report is foolish.

Like most when confronted with being wrong you defend position to the death.

Not that you will comprehend anything but what do you say about dishwashers and air gaps.
Do you check manuals for if they have one built in before you tell people it is missing and required or do you tell them a high loop is OK.?

Glad you know it all and refuse reason but you can inspect however you wish.

You show a tendency to feel you already know everything at this point.
No time to argue with a wall so have fun…All I can do is teach what I know.Up to you to listen.

Bob I don’t know even know if you are wrong or not because you won’t answer my question. If you put in your report that the OP’s photo is defect that NEEDS correction, then you are being absolutely foolish.

If there is no air gap or high loop I inform them that on some units its not required but its prudent to have one installed in the event the built in check valve fails. If its really old, I just write it up. How can I write something up as a defect needing replacement, when I haven’t confirmed that??

Two questions Bob

Is the installation in the photo wrong?

Would your write it up as wrong in your report?

Tel you what ,Going to a meeting with State official and Lawyer who is working for the board.
Will see what he says ?
Right now smiling because just spent 10 minutes straight listening to a problem client rave to me about the job and report from today’s inspection that I just sent her a few hours ago.
Promised to write an online review as well.:):):slight_smile:

Don’t bother. I will make my own interpretation of your refusal to answer two very simple questions. It is the answer, I expected.

The correct answer in a nutshell

That’s a nutshell?

I gave you 4 straight non broken posts by looking up documents and pasting exact segments that apply to the subject while too busy to do so.
Sorry if that was not enough for you as I owe you nothing and reward for my help is a smart lip.

You know it all so do not even worry about what is correct or what I think.

Absolutely piss poor performance

Is the one in the photo wrong?
Would you write it in your report that it is wrong?

The furnace is going to draw air from inside and will possibly create some negative pressure. So do allot of things and not having enough fresh air is not good either.

The cold air might hold more O2 due to density but to much O2 reduces efficiency and produces a shorter flame. More air as well as colder air cools off the flame. Also some places that get allot of snow have exterior intake pipes fill with snow or ice and leave people with no heat.

It is well know that furnaces in damp locations rust faster than ones that

You can call whatever you want BS but what’s going on in your part of the country doesn’t mean it work in other parts.

Here are two installation manuals where the air can come from inside.

http://www.thermopride.com/pdf/422690I%20TPace-VSAInstallersManual.pdf
http://site.famousparts.com/goodman/IO-213.pdf

You already posted at least one manual where it has to come from outside.

So I’ll answer my question for you Bob. The correct answer you should have provided is

“I don’t know”

The photo doesn’t show brand or the location of the unit.

As I said, its generally ok but manufacturers may require otherwise.

Also, as I said, combustion air requirements and contamination would still apply. We can’t see any of that in the photo.

Depending on everyone’s opinion, the recommendation can vary substantially but to write up that its “problem” based on what you saw in the photo is absolutely piss poor.

intake running to outside is generally considered an “option” for high effeciency furnaces and not a reqquirement. I have seen them run to crawlspace, garage, attic, same room ect. I always post something like this:
According to many manufacturers, running combustion intake from outside may save up to 10 of heating costs vs pulling in recycled air. You may wish to consult your specific manufacturer instructions

LOL. :slight_smile: I was trying to highlight just the first sentence.