Hip roof with new gable roof added over it

Originally Posted By: bking
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

On a 1950’s 2-story brick, it has a gable roof but when you go into the attic the framing is for a hip roof. I can see at the ridge inside the attic where an opening for maybe a fan used to be, newer 2x6 framing with OSB sheathing visible there.

The original framing was full size 2x6 rafters, 24 inch on center. with 2x8 hip rafters. The hip rafters have approx. 14 ft horz. span with no vertical supports added. The hip roof was steeper than the new roof structure.
( about 10 in 12 vs 7 in 12 )

Could the original roof had a small flat section around the perimeter with a hip roof inside of that? Lots of cracked bricks around the top of the brick too. See that band on the front exterior view? previous edge of a flat section? Also some vents nailed to the brick on the exterior walls at the top to cover up previous openings at the top of the wall?

![](upload://tUGCby6WmcoksdXKGNoyQSVUJ0z.jpeg)

I don't know how this new structure was added and how much or where the loads are placed. I also am worried that the orig. roof may have some shingles still on it adding even more weight to the overall system.

comments please

--
www.BAKingHomeInspections.com

Originally Posted By: tallen

Seal the openings, other than that it looks OK to me.

Wait for the masters as I am just a lowly HI.

--
I have put the past behind me,
where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: jmurphy1

I’m no expert but I have seen a new roof built over the top of an old one when the old one was damaged due to wind or moisture damage from ice dams.

Apparently this is not the case with this house as there is no damage to the old structure that you can see in the attic.

Maybe the new roof is strictly for aesthic reasons?

Originally Posted By: ccoombs

Based on what you stated, it looks as if the brick was a parapet wall around the exterior with a hip roof that set inside the exterior wall. I could see this flat area being a problem with leaks, so they put a new, larger roof over the top. Maybe the vents were put over drainage points for the flat roof. The concern with a gable roof would be the weight of the roof pushing out the walls. However, this doesn’t look to be the cause of the cracks at the bricks. I would suggest further evaluation by an engineer. I might also not that major changes were made…

Curtis

Originally Posted By: jnosworthy

You have to love a good mystery. This looks like one to me. The pictures make me wonder: brick height above top floor windows suggests there was space to provide a parapet wall. If so, then possibly the vent you show was in fact a former through wall scupper, as I note the dark stains on the brick. But the stains stop shortly, and it would not have been a good idea for the runoff to wash down over the entire brick wall. Is there evidence of a former downspout secured to the brick wall in a line directly below the vent and to the side of the window ? Are these wall vents? positioned on all four sides of the dwelling?, evenly spaced? If not, then I don’t think they were ever scuppers from a flat roof. Could they just be to provide ventilation to the air space between the brick veneer and the standing frame?

Is that a standing seam metal roof in the picture on the one story addition ? If so, is metal roofing typical in that area on houses of that age? There are older homes in this area that have a mansard shape roof that left about a 12" - 16" wide and basically flat walkway all around their perimeter, but the rafters most certainly reached to the outer frame of the perimeter wall, and the flat part was framed as an extended part of the ceiling joist system, offering a roof overhang. This surface is usually found to be covered originally with a flat lock seam terne metal roof panel.

Here’s where I get stumped … if the older hipped roof was steeper, and the newer roof is less steep, but they both terminate at the same peak, right?, could their bottoms have terminated in such different locations ?? to provide such a variation of roof pitch?? I’d love to take that vent cover off and have a peek at that corner, is the old hip rafter end rotted away since the brick looks so poorly there ??

good hunting