Hmmm...barbaque anyone?

Originally Posted By: jmyers
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I found another Bob Vila follower on a home I inspected today. Take a look at these pics.

The first pic used to be the dryer dis-connect. They took the wires and attached them both to the same terminal to bypass the dis-connect.

The second one is why you should not do electrical work when you have no idea of what you are doing.

Enjoy!

Joe Myers

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/Image037.jpg

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/Image038.jpg

Sorry, I forgot to mention that the wire for the dryer went from a #10 at this splice to a #14.

You may be able to see it on this pic next to my thumb, it says 14 2 WG

Joe Myers

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/Image039.jpg

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Geez… why didn’t they just leave the disconnect the way it was and put re-rod where the fuses used to sit?

Better yet, why didn't they just set the house on fire? End result's gonna be the same. At least with my suggestion, no one would have to burn to death in the middle of the night...

Stupid... just stupid...

Take a closer look at the wires on the dis-connect. Did you take notice that if you would have thrown this in the closed position you would have both legs in a direct short?

Shoot Bob Vila and forbid Home Depot from selling electrical parts!

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: ismetaniuk

This membership was a big waste of my time!

Igor

Top To Bottom Inspections

Glen Spey, NY

Originally Posted By: jremas

More great pictures of Joe showing off his own rewiring job at his house.

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
Northeastern PA & the Poconos
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Igor,

No way in He** was I going to touch any of the electrical after I found that splice. I did not even take the cover off the panel. I may be a little adventureous but I am not dumb. God only knows where it went or what it was for.

In Joe's famous words I told them.....you don't need me you need a good eletrician!

I would like to point out this house was about 120 years young. Give it another six to eight inches to the right or left and this place and the twin on the other side you have went up in minutes. (lots of good seasoned fire wood in those house's)

BTW...I turned the power off at the breaker after I saw the burned wires. Originally is what caught my eye was the fact I was following the wire from the receptacle after I noticed it was marked 14 2 G.....that is for a 240 volt 30 amp circuit. The circuit was still live when I found it that way.

Joe Myers

Jeff,

Oh, you mean I was supposed to use the bigger wire for that circuit! I can just use two of the cheaper smaller ones, right. Well I will just ask the guy at Bobs Depot Outlet to give me twice as much the next time! ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: Robert Patterson

Joe M.,

I'll make you a good deal on some phone wiring that'll be flexible for wiring that up. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Bob
Senior Manager of Bob's Depot

Bob,

If I usins the telephone wire I just have to quadruple it up right! Shucks, I am smarter than you washingtonians thinkin.

Joe Myers