Holes in vent connector

Originally Posted By: rking
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/more/101_0265.jpg ]

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/more/101_0269.jpg ]

I will wait for some comments before I add my own.

--
Muskoka Home Inspections
"Wisdom is the Anticipation of the Consequences"
Steering Committee Member At Large

Originally Posted By: psabados

Lets try this. Holes could indicate that a manual damper valve was once installed. Probably removed because of corrosion. Depending upon the sulfur level of the oil, burning bi-product and introduction of moisture cause the formation of H2SO4 Sulfuric Acid. Could have plenty of problems along the exhaust flue and inner areas of the heating chamber.

That's what I remember from High School Chem, back in the old days

Paul

Counting down the days to Orlando 2005 T-minus 233 and counting

Originally Posted By: jsavino

The hole in your picture were made to perform the efficiency on the boiler,These hole are where the probes would be inserted and are not needed to be sealed.

John Savino

HomeWorks Inspection Services, LLC

St. James, NY

John please a little further education!

Oil boilers are not very common out here in flyover country. What kind of probes, how is the test performed and what exactly does one measure?

Paul

Originally Posted By: jsavino

Paul,

The probes are for CO2, stack temp, smoke and draft testing. They are inserted into the flue pipe to gather flue gases. The boiler should be running for about 5 to 10 minutes before testing. Depending on the boiler and burner unit efficiency should be above 80 percent. The boiler in the picture is an old dinosaur, probably running in the mid 70 percent. Not very efficient and might be consuming more fuel oil then needed to heat the home.

John Savino

HomeWorks Inspection Services, LLC

St. James, NY

Thanks John icon_biggrin.gif

Paul

Originally Posted By: rking

John,

You are correct!

I have been calling these holes out for further evaluation by a heating contractor.

Last week I had a tech from a heating company call me to tell me that I am "giving out bad information".

Needless to say I was a little embarrased.

On the good side of it though, apparently if the furnace is not operating properly, flue gases can escape from these holes, so in the long run I am still giving my clients relatively good information by having them get a service tech in to check it out.

--
Muskoka Home Inspections
"Wisdom is the Anticipation of the Consequences"
Steering Committee Member At Large

Originally Posted By: John Furr

Not only is John 100% correct on the usage of the hole, he is also correct in stating the hole is of no concern.

"The probes are for CO2, stack temp, smoke and draft testing. They are inserted into the flue pipe to gather flue gases. The boiler should be running for about 5 to 10 minutes before testing. Depending on the boiler and burner unit efficiency should be above 80 percent. The boiler in the picture is an old dinosaur, probably running in the mid 70 percent. Not very efficient and might be consuming more fuel oil then needed to heat the home."

What was left unmentioned is that oil furnaces have a volumetric damper that is frequently open much more then that tiny hole is open.

Also, the vent connector is improperly installed in the picture.

The crimped end of pipe must insert into the downstream connector and not the other way around. The idea is to minimize leakage of the venting systems. Some induced draft venting systems on Natural gas systems would have enough pressure to cause enough leakage to be of concern for the long term exposure to CO for children and your household pets.

Given the picture and the fact that the 90 degree elbow is inserted into the vent connector, and the elbow is installed in the reverse direction I would hazard a guess that the whole connector is reversed at least back to the volumetric damper... assuming one is properly installed!

--
John Furr
Residential Efficiency and Training Resources of Ontario