Home business address safe or not

How many have a home base inspection business?
Do you have to use your address as the business?
How safe is it to use your personal address?
Thanks!

Well, it lets people know where you are, and may result in more in-area calls.

It’s not like finding your address is hard for someone who wishes you poorly (google sez you or a family member are Paul A Maldonado Sr., 14423 Sayre St, Sylmar, CA).

2 Likes

I’m set up that way with no issues to date. Now if I run across a “Kathy Bates ‘Misery’” type of client. I would be concerned.

4 Likes

This is something to consider

1 Like

Yep, a common concern. I’ve had my business address listed as my personal residence for years and never had a problem but people are nuts these days for sure. I agree that if someone wanted to find it bad enough they could, regardless if it’s on Google, etc. or not.

I have a close friend that works in Information Services (background checks, locating people, private eye stuff, etc.). It’s amazing how easy it is to find people in today’s digital world. He’s got some great stories… one of the best is how often/easy it is to find people trying to hide while posting their lives all over FB. Kind of like the people that get their house broken into while on vacation… after broadcasting the vacation ahead of time to their 2000 FB closest online friends :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Car sticker. Single mom, 3 kids, a cat and a dog. Good information for a burglar.

3 Likes

That’s funny​:joy::joy:
I don’t live there anymore though. I just hear good and bad I guess. Thanks for response!

2 Likes

Google seems to have a problem verifying residential addresses for businesses.

2 Likes

Yeah, this is a long rabbit hole in and of itself. There must be a lot of fraud or something because they make it pretty difficult.

1 Like

Yeah. It’s kind of creepy isn’t it?

Personal and business are separated as much as possible for us.

1 Like

I used to use a different mail drop, but with the internet today, if someone wants to find where you live, they are going to find you. So now I put my real address on everything including my websites.

2 Likes

I had a bad experience, inspected a home in poor condition, but very inexpensive , the report was very clear on the issues. A year later he sold the home, told them I inspected the home " and it passed the inspection ". Then the 2nd buyer realized what he bought, told me he was on his way with some guys to straighten me out. I said I should warn you I am recording this call and will be phoning the police as soon as I hang up, I will give them the recording, he didn’t show up, but I took my address off everything after that. He wasn’t even my client, he never read the report, but he sure upset my wife

3 Likes

It sure is great to be in Texas! Had that happened to me I was have just informed him that if they appear I would shoot them. If I was not able to shoot them my Wife would shoot them. If she can’t reach her weapon in time then guaranteed the Dogs would shoot them as they are the fastest in the house! As the saying goes “Don’t mess around in Texas!”. :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

I used to have a separate PO Box to help maintain a legal separation (I keep corporate and personal assets 100% separate) but got rid of it as not only did nobody ever use it (everything is emailed now) but the government does not accept a PO Box # as valid. I don’t advertise my home address, but it isn’t hard to find where any home inspector lives in my area.

2 Likes

Please don’t shoot, just here for some tea :slight_smile:

1 Like

New Jersey home inspection law

13:40-15.18 ADVERTISING; IDENTIFICATION OF LICENSEE

c) All advertising by a licensee shall include:
   3) The business address of the licensee, including the street name and number. Post office box numbers shall not be used as a form of business address.

g) All business correspondence and stationery, such as letterhead, business cards, pre-inspection agreements, and home inspection reports, of a licensee shall display:
   3) The business address of the licensee, including the street name and number. Post office box numbers shall not be used as a form of business address.

1 Like

How come they don’t have the same rule for every govt employee? Everyone’s name and personal physical address should be listed on their website. We need to hold them accountable to protect the consumer, HELLO!

3 Likes

Was it hard to change address of business? As far as redoing business cards web…etc…

YES I agree100%