Home Inspection for Self Purchase

Can you perform your own home inspection for a home you are purchasing? Located in California

Yes, but you wouldn’t exactly be considered a neutral third party, and that would be taken into consideration by certain parties involved in the transaction.

1 Like

Mark, maybe find a trusted inspector that you can shadow “as the brother- in -law” and make sure he notices any thing that you do, to put in his report. No one needs to know that you are an inspector.

Thank you for your response:-)

Mark Brost
Energy Efficiency Manager
Efficiency Services Group
(408) 222-6414

Thank you for your response :slight_smile:

Mark Brost
Energy Efficiency Manager
Efficiency Services Group
(408) 222-6414

For defects I wanted to negotiate with I had a licensed contractor come and write their repairs needed and bid on a letter head and didn’t have any issues.

In California, no, it would be a violation of California law.

7197. (a) It is an unfair business practice for a home inspector, a company that employs the inspector, or a company that is controlled by a company that also has a financial interest in a company employing a home inspector, to do any of the following: (1) To perform or offer to perform, for an additional fee, any repairs to a structure on which the inspector, or the inspector’s company, has prepared a home inspection report in the past 12 months. (2) Inspect for a fee any property in which the inspector, or the inspector’s company, has any financial interest or any interest in the transfer of the property.

And as noted, even if you did, no one would believe you because you’re not unbiased.

I’d hire someone else. but let that other person know what’s up and you’ll be doing your own evaluation along with them.

1 Like

I did my own this year and called out a bulldog panel. When attempting to negotiate using the panel (and other things) received push back. I wanted the house regardless.

But it ended up benefiting me on appraisal because they called out mold in the attic and asked for the home inspection report. I declined to share with appraiser stating I did it myself, therefore no report to share. So it helped because the appraiser could have held up the loan over the mold but wasn’t able to. It’s beyond their scope anyways so they were overstepping as it was…

In hindsight I have an inspector friend I could have asked to do a report to appear unbiased. In the current (sellers) market I’m confident it would not have made much difference.

Don’t charge yourself! :slight_smile: