Home inspection license in both VA and MD question?

I am currently a home inspector in VA and was interested in getting my MD license. How does that work with taxes, and the business side of things. The license is as easy as filling out an application and sending in the fees. I just dont know if there are more steps to take, and what those steps are.

Hey Patrick not sure on the business side of things, but I know of a couple inspectors who had to attend training in person in Maryland to become licensed. May want to give Maryland DLLR a call just to confirm your training works for them. Good luck getting after it!

Along with what Daniel suggested, you may want to talk to your accountant/CPA for the other things.

Oh, and welcome back to our forum after two years, Patrick! Enjoy! :smile:

Patricia Schott
Executive Director
Commission of Real Estate Appraisers, Appraisal Management Companies and Home Inspectors
Maryland Department of Labor, Licensing & Regulation
500 N. Calvert Street, #302
Baltimore, MD 21202
410-230-6165 (office)
410-333-6314 (fax)
\ 96x25 DLLR Website Facebook Twitter

1 Like

I just recently researched a similar situation for myself. I am a licensed Maryland Inspector and I am expanding to cover parts of Pennsylvania.

For Maryland, visit https://www.nachi.org/licensing-and-certification/us/maryland and/or https://www.dllr.state.md.us/license/reahi/reahireq.shtml for the requirements here. Basically, you have to attend in-person classroom training for 72 hours and you have to pass the National Home Inspectors Examination https://nationalhomeinspectorexam.org/. You also need a HS Diploma or Equivalent and furnish proof of having general liability insurance in the amount of at least $150,000.

To maintain a Maryland HI License every 2 years, we are required to complete 30 hours of continuing professional competency education, and up to 30 percent of the total continuing professional competency hours required by §A of this regulation may be obtained in other than a classroom setting.

As far as the business side of things, as others have stated, I would check with a CPA. For me to do business in PA, I have to register as a Foreign LLC which I am in the process of doing now since I got all the PA technical pre-requisites completed.

Also, you will need to research each of your ancillary services for requirements for that State to make sure you are in compliance. Each State varies for Radon, Mold, Termite, Water, Well, Septic, etc. For instance, Maryland does not presently license Radon testing, but PA does.

I hope this helps and good luck!

Thanks for the helpful advice.

Thanks for the helpful advice! I will definitely be con
tacting a CPA to help with this.

1 Like

You’re welcome, Patrick! :smile:

Thanks so much for the helpful advice. I hadn’t thought about the other services. Do you know if mold requires a certain license in MD? That’s pretty great that MD does not require anything for radon. I am battling the NRPP test again at the end of the month…it sucks.

Hi Patrick, you’re welcome - always glad to help out a fellow Inspector! At present, to my knowledge, no license requirement for Mold Testing. They did pass regulations for Mold Remediation back in 2008 but they have postponed implementation of the Act indefinitely. With this said, however, I would CYA for yourself and have at least accreditation from IAC2 or something similar just in case (mine came in handy recently for a customer for litigation against a Landlord).

Thanks so much for the help. I had to get the IAC2 before my insurance would cover me on air samples, so I have that going for me.