Home Inspection Reports

Hello, all. I am FINALLY on my last step to receiving my license. I’ve got quite a bit to go on the business end yet to do.

I am overwhelmed at the inspection report options. Here is my deal : I still work full-time at my telco job of 25 years. 5 years until retirement. I am starting this as a part-time business until I can retire and then wait another 6 years for my wife to retire. For the time being, I only plan to do this on weekends for a while. I do not need this elaborate/collaborative/integrating software. Just something simple and clean for someone who has never done this before, doesn’t have $1000+ to dump into the software, and isn’t trying to take over the industry. Any cost-effective options out there for a newbie weekend warrior who is not too terrible tech savvy?

Ignatius, member Kenton Shepard put this together to help people choose software. Many give free sample reports to fill out to get the feel for them. If they don’t say so, ask…and good luck.

https://hinarratives.com/narrative-library-formats/choosing-inspection-software/

3 Likes

That was helpful. I had no idea you could pay per report. That sounds like the direction I should be heading for the time being.

Thank you so much, Larry!

https://www.reporthost.com/

Pay per report. Easy to use, nice reports.

1 Like

Ignatius,
If you want, PM or email me and I will send you a Inspection Report form that you can use until you decide on software.

1 Like

When I started there were not many options on report writing. I made MS Word templates from information I deemed pertinent from what I saw in other inspectors reports.

There was no mandatory HI Licensing requirements back then. Today however, most states require what must go in your report or you have a NACHI SOP here. Put every requirement from the pertinent SOP you will follow in your template. You will insure you cover everything required of you, then you add below that anything else you want to comment on. MS Word allow charts, grafts, pictures, videos just like the big report software, just takes a little longer.

1 Like

I would but for the life of me do not know how to PM you.

Thank you!

Click on Joe’s avatar, then click “message” and you are now in the PM area of the forum. It looks like the regular forum except it says message and will only go to Joe.

I appreciate the pointers. I really do, but maybe I’m more inept then I care to admit. I have clicked on every avatar in this thread and I see message nowhere. If I click Joe once I get this. A second time and I get this. Are there different levels of membership here?

I’m not for sure but that may be the case, Ignatius…mea culpa.

I don’t see “message” either, following those instructions…

This is what I get:

1 Like

No worries. We’re definitely not seeing the same thing. Odd. Hopefully, Joe will see this and message me. Ha!

Not there for me…

avator

I’ve been here 6-8 months just studying on and off and watching videos. I’ve never interacted with anyone before last night.

You have to get your trust levels up! :slight_smile: You’re listed as a browser, same as Dom.

1 Like

We’ve been through this before :smiley:

2 Likes

Understood. Thank you! I’ll stop sweating it for the evening. At least I know now. It wasn’t for lack of effort.

Good evening, gentlemen.

1 Like

Try this.

Click on YOUR avatar in the upper right hand corner of this page, then click the bell, then click on “messages”. But, you will need Joe’s forum name " jdepiero " to put into the “send to area”