Home Inspector Education

Originally Posted By: Darryl Catron
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I am interested in becoming a home inspector and have been trying to research courses available. I believe my home state (TN) does not required a specific certification but I want to work with a reputable organization. The cost of courses/materials both classroom and home study range from $800 - $3000. Could someone please point me in the right direction?

Also, if it is recommended to take a $2,000 - $3,000 classroom course -then are there ways available to finance the course?

Can I really take the online free courses offered here and when I pass the test be certified and ready to open my own business?

--
Darryl Catron

Originally Posted By: lfranklin

Darryl, welcome to the board.

That's a tough question. A lot has to do with your location and background. They are some good classes out their and they do range in price. I wouldn't look a price first. Look at what they offer and can teach you. This is a profession that will require continuing education.

Originally Posted By: bbennett

Darryl,

You may want to take a look at www.hondroscollege.com. They offer a 40 hr training course for 1350.00. The only draw back is that the training is in Ohio, so you would have extra expenses. I plan on attending the class in April, so I will let you know how the training was. I have tried to locate training here in TN, but the only thing I have found was in Bartlett TN, offer through AHIT.com - it was 7 days for 2400.00 I believe. Hope this helps, Good Luck

Bryan

Originally Posted By: James D Mosier

Apparently Hondros college has changed web hosts so for my first post (after lurking several weeks) I will try to help by posting this link:

http://www.hondros.com/

I imagine any posts by myself in the near future will be requesting help. ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

--
Jim Mosier

Originally Posted By: lfranklin

Walter State Community College in Morristown Tn is offering a course.

Originally Posted By: bbennett

Sorry about that, normally I copy and paste the link.

Try this one

http://hondroscollege.com/courses/real-estate/home-inspection/

Originally Posted By: dbowers

There’s a whole lot of liability and lawsuits in the Home Inspection Business today. Even guys with 20 years in construction, or remodeling, or engineering are taking entry level HI Training Classes to round out their education and learn how to inspect, what to inspect and how to write their reports to adequately deliver the information to clients - and limit their future liability.

Its real easy to get educated in HI today, so most buyers, Realtors and other inspectors won't tolerate an uneducated inspector.

There's 1-2 week long inspection training schools in San Diego, Chicago, Kansas City, Tampa, Tuczon, Dallas, Tulsa, Washington, D.C. etc, etc. If someone won't invest the short amount of time and the small amount of money ($1,500 to $3,000) for the training to get into this profession - they would probably be doing themselves and the public a great favor by forgetting home inspections and by doing something else.

Dan Bowers (Kansas City)