Home Inspector Pro does it again!

Jim writes:

And “takin chances” is exactly what I call it too.

All that world recognition of the organization that piecemealed (from hundreds of special interests) that goofy, mis-titled ASTM Commercial SOP that you claimed to have abided by (impossible to abide by BTW) when you performed that commercial inspection for the plaintiff won’t save your a$s in court.

What are you planning to tell the Judge? “Your honor, rule in my favor because more people have heard of ASTM than InterNACHI

Please, don’t make me laugh.

Remember though. Whatever SOP you tell your client you are abiding by… you’d better abide by! Have you read ASTM’s SOP? You are really going to calculate repair costs?

Anyway… The document that would have kept you out of court to begin with is the clearly written InterNACHI Commercial SOP. It is straightforward. It tells you what to do. You tell your client what your are going to do it. Then you go out and do it. It provides your client with the information that is likely more valuable to him/her than the fee you have to charge for acquiring it for him/her. A win/win. It is beautiful.

And use our accompanying documents too: www.nachi.org/comsop.htm

Or not. I don’t care. Try that “Bushart’s most name recognition” defense strategy of yours. ROTFLMAO :roll::smiley: Who knows, maybe you’ve come up with somethin’ there that the legal profession hasn’t thought of yet.

LOL

You have no data to prove any of your hyperbolic claims, Nick.

Like everything else, it’s all smoke.

Provide proof for any of your claims. How many lawsuits in 2007 were filed and lost by inspectors using ASTM standards? Give the same stats for your brand new, untested standard.

Without that information, you have nothing but a sales pitch.

HMMM, something has happened within the top or elite of nachi here. I am seeing some attacks and a turn from those who use to vigorously defend it. Whats going on, what happened here?

Nick,

Maybe you should take my class, so I can point out some of the flaws within COMSOP;-)

Like I have said, knowledge is power, and one needs to understand the SOP they have signed up for.

BTW, where did you get the idea that the ASTM model is somehow not defensible? I have more problems with COMSOP in major areas, including our definition of commercial property, our inclusion of life and safety issues, our checklist or guide in this area, and numerous other areas.

I give E2018 the same viewthat I give COMSOP; that is, both are good and both are not so good. I teach the plusses and minuses.

Be careful Joe, Jim typically attacks vendors for telling us why their product or service might be useful. :smiley:

Anyway, I’d say having to calculate repair costs is a pretty big ASTM “minus.” No thanks, I’ll pass. I’m an inspector, not a commercial roofing estimator.

And after thinking about Jim’s “most name recognition” legal defense strategy, I have decided to contract with Paris Hilton and have her author my SOP. She has more name recognition than ASTM and InterNACHI combined. It’s brilliant! :wink: LOL.

There are inspectors who calculate and provide repair costs with residential as well as commercial inspections as an additional service to their clients.

Utlizing the ASTM standard allows an inspector to do either/or. If the client and he agree that he will, the provision is there. If the client and he agree that he won’t, he does not have to.

Again…you have hyperbolized to fit your argument. There is no “requirement” in the ASTM SOP to provide repair costs anymore than there is a “requirement” for a NACHI member to walk a roof.

**Anyone have a direct link to ASTM SOP **?

Bob -

No links, since one must purchase a copy of this standard.

ASTM’s standard takes into consideration (where NACHI’s fails) the fact that a “commercial” facility can be anything from a five unit residential dwelling to a football stadium…a strip mall to the Empire State Building.

Accordingly, it provides that any modification to it that is mutually accepted by the inspector and his client and specified in writing, will meet its standard.

In Nick’s world of hyperbole and spin…there can only be one way…the NACHI way. In our world outside of the NACHI Tv studio, things are quite different.

For instance…why would a NACHI home inspector inspect a six unit dwelling differently than a four unit dwelling? How much actual modification to the standard NACHI or ASHI SOP is actually required…unless, of course, the client is wanting to place an emphasis on something our SOP does not. A modification made to the NACHI SOP, written down and agreed to by both parties, instantly becomes an ASTM approved standard.

What is wrong with that?

Check your mail Bob.

Thanks

Interesting subject.
(deserves its own thread though)

Bob,

I teach conformance with both standards. I think it is imperative to understand the pitfalls associated with whatever standard one follows. As NACHI and ASTM offer standards, with ASTM being the most widely referenced and the fact that we are NACHI, I limit the “standards-based” course materials to these two.

Beyond that, I have added other important items to the course, which includes the examination of process, as well as the inclusion of inspection-specific tasks.

COMSOP makes up for some of ASTMs shortcomings, while ASTM provides the generally accepted guideline for conducting a Commercial PCA.

As I have repeatedly stated, neither is perfect. ASTM does include estimates of probable costs in their standard, which can be waived as a condition of engagement by the Inspector. There are many things in both standards that are included that I personally do not agree with. But, the standards allow their specific exclusions.

The key is to understand the plusses and minusses.

As to Nick’s comment to me:

Yes, I am a vendor. Yes, I also fulfill other functions for the association and have for some time now.

I am not on the BOD, nor have I ever been asked. I inspect, teach, and try and vend. All aimed at puttng food on the table and helping members.

I am opinionated and sometimes hostile. I learned long ago that some arguments in NACHI are won and others are lost. Sometimes Nick smiles and nods, for effect only. He has his mind made up.

That’s cool. Doesnt mean we cant call each other a$$hole, then go out for a bite to eat. Doesnt mean that we arent interested in each other’s family, or wish each other a happy holiday, or whatever.

Same for Chris, Ben, or Joe Ferry. Ihave known Joe for a long while. He’s like all the rest of us; trying to survive in a difficult economy. He’s knowledgable, smart, and a genuinely nice guy.

I dont have to agree with everything he says, but would turn to him for advice in a heartbeat.

Everyone has his/her strengths and weaknesses. Even associations. Even standards.

As an industry, we are facing hard times. We are constantly being attacked, either directly or indirectly. We need to be smarter. Understand what’s out there. Understand the pluses and minuses.

Knowledge is power. As a vendor, I try and sell knowledge. As Director of Professional Development, I walk a line between what is beneficial to the association, and what is beneficial to the member inspector.

That is why Nick and I argue. It’s also probably why we get along so well.

Pro and Con
Ying vs Yang
Dem vs Rep
Two eyes
two ears
Newspaper writers and Newspaper ads

Completness requires both.