Home Inspector Qualifications - Update Bulletin

This comment is made in poor taste.

You need only 55% I believe to pass.
You need 80% to pass the InterNachi exam.

Kevin as the courses I took from elsewhere were very involved I can then only concede to your knowledge and statements. If you taught the courses and they were almost impossible to fail they must indeed be very simple courses.

Which college is it that gives you a pass with 55%?? Having taken many college courses, I can certainly attest that this statement requires clarification…

Thanks for the feedback.

A Google search turned up many

Grading & Transcripts

Grading System - From September 2005

Grading Legend

Grade****
Grade Point****
Range****
A+
90-100%
A
80-89%
B+
7–79%
B
70-74%
C+
65-69%
C
60-64%
D
55-59%
F
Below passing grade for the course
EX

Advanced Standing/Exemption
I

Incomplete
P

Passed
AU

Audit
AT

Attended an ungraded course
W

Withdrawal from course (before the drop deadline)
Y

Discontinued by the College
DNA

Registered but did not attend
I/P

Course remains in process at end of term

The minimum passing grade for a course is 55% unless otherwise stated on the course outline or College calendar. Conestoga College Academic policies are available here](Policies | Conestoga College).

Question is Roy who would want to just get a D? Most in my class but not all received more than a C.

Thanks Roy for the clarification. I guess things have changed in more modern times… Used to be you had to maintain a 2,5 or better average or you were put on academic probation and eventually given the boot if your grades weren’t improved. Wow!

Nice seeing you at the event on the week-end and stay warm.

Pat

P.S. The snow is not keeping up today… :slight_smile:

To pass the bar exam lawyers only need 70%.

Some programs and associations require 80% minimum to pass a course.

TJ is right about care in perpetuating the myth that 50% is a pass grade for a college level home inspection course. Our benchmark was 80% at Humber College for the Home Inspection Program. The TIPR (Test Inspection) requires 80% and complete mandatory requirement in producing the report to be assessed to meet the SOP.

They don’t fail anyone anymore, in high school they pass you regardless of your grades.

Its a joke!

Bryce, thanks for the kind words!

It’s another problem with classroom courses. The instructors are human beings, want their students to pass, and so end up teaching to pass instead of teaching.

There is a home inspection society in the states (which will go nameless) that runs their own school that advertises that they guarantee you’ll pass your state exam or you can take the course again for free. They brag about teaching you to pass exams.

Public schools (where their funding is based on standardized exam scores) teach children in their classrooms to pass exams as a matter of policy.

Conversely, online courses (like InterNACHI’s) are computer-run (heartless)… and computers don’t care if you pass or not, and so they teach students to be competent at inspecting, not exam passing.

Maybe where you are. I went to school as a Paramedic. We started with 38 students, 7 of us graduated 2 years later. That’s average.

Each semester had 3 core classes out of the 6. If you did’t acheive a perfect mark in one course, you failed all 3 core classes and you were out.

http://www.woodstocksentinelreview.com/2014/03/23/reforms-may-be-coming-to-the-unregulated-industry

News Woodstock & Region

Reforms may be coming to the unregulated industry [FONT=FranklinGothicFSMediumCondens]0](http://www.woodstocksentinelreview.com/2014/03/23/reforms-may-be-coming-to-the-unregulated-industry#disqus_thread) [/FONT]

By Heather Rivers](http://www.woodstocksentinelreview.com/author/heather-rivers), Woodstock Sentinel-Review
Sunday, March 23, 2014 12:39:08 EDT PM

WOODSTOCK - It’s potentially a very scary reality for homeowners who are looking to base the biggest purchase of their life on what a so-called expert has to say.
But to date home inspection is considered an unregulated industry; one in which anyone can call themselves certified.
The industry is currently under investigation by the Ministry of Consumer Services, which may lead to mandatory qualifications for home inspectors.
The agency is currently reviewing recommendations from an expert panel comprised of home inspection associations, consumer advocates and the real estate industry, before making a decision.
Kitchener resident Rick Clayton, who performs home inspections in the Woodstock area and across Southern Ontario, is one of only three in the province who holds the title certified master inspector.
He would welcome mandatory qualification for inspectors.
“One hundred per cent, we need more regulations,” he said during a phone interview on the weekend.
Clayton explained that gaining the title of certified home inspector is something that can be done in too short a time frame.
“You could become a certified home inspector in 24 hours, easy,” he said.
Clayton, who is also a member of the Ontario Association of Home Inspectors, believes certification should also include a mentoring program, as well as passing Ontario Building Code courses, as required by the association.
“I can’t stress enough how important it is to know the building codes,” he said.
Woodstock realtors Jen Storey and Kelly Williams, who manned a Century 21 booth at the Woodstock Home Show on Saturday, also believe it is time for a change.
“As far as I’m concerned they need to be regulated,” Williams said. “It would help us out an awful lot.”
Both agents — who usually recommend two or three home inspectors to clients following a home sale — said they are very selective of whom they work with.
Storey’s advice to homeowners who need to hire an inspector is to shop around and “listen to your agent.”
“It’s our reputations on the line when we’re referring people,” she said.
John Van Lagen, owner of Joe’s Carpentry, also at the home show Saturday, said he also believes more regulations are needed due to anecdotal information regarding their work.
“In my opinion they miss a lot of information,” he said.
When inspectors miss problems like a leaky foundation and rot in the basement, it can cost big dollars.
Education, which can range from a weekend course to a year-long college diploma, he said can’t make up for experience in trades.
“They should have a building background before they become a home inspector,” he said.
Cheryl Ann Lovie, co-owner of The Comfort Guy, also at the home show over the weekend, believes that home inspectors often don’t have the specialized knowledge that licensed tradesmen do.
For the approximate cost of a home inspection, an option, she said, would be to retain several experts such as furnace installer, a structural contractor or an electrician to dissect a new or resale home.
“I find the home inspection gig is that they get lots of training, but it’s condensed,” she said. “There is some good ones, but many lack experience.”
William Cattle, president of the Woodstock-Ingersoll and District Real Estate Board, agreed regulations would “be a positive step forward.”
Cattle said unlike home inspectors, realtors are regulated through the Real Estate Council of Ontario and have a duty to “provide accurate information to our clients.”
“We are subject to strict standards of client care, which were designed to deter ethical behaviour in the real estate market. We hope to accomplish the same in the home inspection,” he said.
heather.rivers@sunmedia.ca
( Kitchener resident Rick Clayton, who performs home inspections in the Woodstock area and across Southern Ontario, is one of only three in the province who holds the title certified master inspector. )
He is just one of about 100 CMIs in the province http://certifiedmasterinspector.org/](http://certifiedmasterinspector.org/)
The Home Inspection Industry is not perfect but BBB gets very few complaints .
I think there are over 100 groups who do have an extremely bad record ,from Movers ,Garage door repairs ,window salesman Tow truck drivers .
Thanks Roy Cooke retired CMI

That is patently false!

Is she for real? You can’t possibly have several experts come in for the cost of a home inspection!

1. Try and find a tradesman(s) who will be able to accommodate your request on the same day as other tradesman.
  2. Are those ‘tradesman’ insured?
  3. Are they going to provide a written report?
  4. Will they have the client sign a contract
  5. Will the vendor accommodate at least 9 tradesman in the house all at the same time?

His web site is wrong too
I just looked and saw at least 8, RHI who are also a CMI .
Looks like OAHI members see the how many CAHPI Alberta members are also a CMI

http://realhomeinspectionsontario.com/index.html

****](http://realhomeinspectionsontario.com/pricing.html)****

[FONT=Calibri] [/FONT]
As a REGISTERED HOME INSPECTOR & CERTIFIED MASTER INSPECTOR, we are always striving to offer you the best possible Home Inspection, whether it’s continuing education or the lastest tools.
There are less than 5 Inspectors in Ontario that hold both the RHI & CMI status.

This same guy was misusing RHI even before he got his RHI.

And I wish OAHI would can the crap about how great they are! Its all bull****, they can’t even muster the resources to carry out the provision of PR 158 by prosecuting known violators who are misusing RHI even though they are no longer members.

If they can’t carry out that simple provision then what else is wrong? Well thats a rhetorical question given their dismal record of abuse of process and other well establish screw ups.

My brother sent me this article over the weekend–Its the same old misinformed crap that all the news outlets are publishing. Is licensing going to fix this? Yeah right–licensing will set a basic minimum standard–just like driving. I’ve seen MANY people who are licensed by the province and yet can’t put a turn signal on! Why would home inspection be different??

I laughed when I read that assinine quote about getting nine contractors for the price of 1 inspector–maybe at mike holmes rates but certainly not at the majority of inspectors’ what a joke…

Head shake required:
Out of those 9 contractors, how many are actually licensed?
Will anything really change other than higher prices? More liability? Or more confusion for the consumer?

One company that I know in BC that is licensed operates with 3 inspectors. One licensed in electrical, one in mechanical and the owner as a licensed BC inspector. Different, but each to their own way of conducting business.

I talked to some OAHI members at the C&D conference and a couple of Directors.
They all felt OAHI needed improvement (" Head shake required:") ( love that Claude ) and expect no changes with the new Board.
They all feel extremely disappointed and have no idea what they can do to improve it .
They all where surprised with much past info I gave them that they had no ideas about.

C&D should be sending their students to InterNACHI, not to OAHI where they will re-pay for their education. How have they not seen that yet? (Double head shake)