Home Inspector self-evaluation tool. Should I build it?

Originally Posted By: gromicko
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I’m trying to make a quick sort of quiz/self-evaluation tool for inspectors to quickly determine if they are regularly overlooking something in the course of performing their home inspections. Here’s my idea:

I was thinking of making an online home inspection checklist (much like a standard inspection report). Only this checklist would include things a home inspector must check (according to our Standards of Practice http://www.nachi.org/sop.htm ) and it would include those things outside the scope of a home inspection...the lists would be mixed up but in categories. The inspector could then run thru the home inspection checklist and click those things that must be checked or done in the course of performing a home inspection, not checking those things outside the scope of a home inspection.

A veteran home inspector should be able to fly thru the checklist in 15 minutes.

At the end, the quiz/self-evaluation tool would list 2 things:

1. It would list those things you inspect that you aren't required to or are outside the scope of an inspection.

but more importantly...

2. It would list those things you don't inspect that you are required to.

I went on a few home inspection these past few weeks to observe and saw a few inspectors tear into things they didn't have to do, yet bypass critical areas.

It's one thing to know a lot about inspections. It's another thing to know what and what not to inspect.

I thought a self evaluation tool like this might be useful. I didn't want to do another quiz, examination, or obstacle course.

Just an idea.

Thoughts?

Nick

Originally Posted By: tbrady

sounds like a great idea - go for it!

Originally Posted By: kleonard

Nick,

this is something I personnaly would be very interested in doing as it is my goal to always be learning and honing my inspection skills.

This quiz/self-evaluation would be a good way for me to look for weak areas in my inspection proccess. On the other hand it also would tell me if I am going above & beyond what is expected of me as a Home Inspector in any given area.

Kevin Leonard
the-home-inspection-company.com

Originally Posted By: phinsperger

Nick,

Great idea. It would be good to take periodically to keep oneself focused on the SOP.

--

Paul Hinsperger
Hinsperger Inspection Services
Chairman - NACHI Awards Committee
Place your Award Nominations
here !

Originally Posted By: jedwards

Removed.

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

Sounds like an idea for a useful tool.

Erby Crofutt

B4U Close Home Inspections

Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Originally Posted By: mbailey

Nick,

This could be a very beneficial evaluation/self help tool.

--
Mark Bailey
Stonegate Property Inspections LLC
Ponca, NE

Originally Posted By: ltrower

Nick,

Honing the ax to a razor sharp edge is never a bad idea. I think that would be a very useful tool for all of us.

Lee Trower

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Nick,

This would be a good tool for everyone from the Newbie to the Seasoned Veteran Code Quoter, and all in-between.

All you have to do is look in the Electrical section of the board on any day to realize that the range of the inspection in this section alone varies greatly.

Originally Posted By: lungar

icon_smile.gif Nick I think you hit the nail on the head again, go for it

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Nick,

Great idea. Everyone has some trouble remembering all the things that should inspect, especially when they are starting out.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: dbush

Nick, thanks, great idea.

Dave Bush

MAB Member

"LIFE'S TOUGH, WEAR A HELMET"

Originally Posted By: rpalac

Nick,

That's how I do it....

I hope to see your list it will make sure I'm on track and in line with other's in there thouth of inspecting.

This is a great basis for moving toward a more uniform profession.

I LIKE IT.

Originally Posted By: wpedley

Nick,

I have a system like that .I use it all the time.

I'd like to see what you can come up with...great idea. ![icon_idea.gif](upload://6VKizmOm2U7YYmfXNtFW4XTwFVy.gif) ![icon_idea.gif](upload://6VKizmOm2U7YYmfXNtFW4XTwFVy.gif)

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

The home inspection business is a lonely one with little camaraderie (outside this message board). Don’t everyone kill me for what I’m about to say, but I think the newbies are more diligent at following SOP’s than veterans. I’ve been doing some ride-alongs and have come to the conclusion that veteran inspectors know more about inspecting (as they should) but are less likely to have read the SOP or follow it.

I got to meet two veteran inspectors (NACHI members) who were competitors for years. They decided to ride along on a few of each of the other's inspections to learn from each other. They concluded that the differences between them wasn't in knowledge or experience, but rather what exactly they inspected and didn't inspect. I found it interesting. Any SOP is supposed to apply uniformity.

This new online self-evaluation tool could be the closest thing to a ride along with a veteran who follows SOP to the tee.

Could be fun too. I'll build it.

Nick

Nick,

Thank you.

Lee Trower

Originally Posted By: Chris Morrell

I like how the subject has “should I build it?” meaning “should Chris build it?” icon_biggrin.gif

Coming soon to a nachi.org near you...

--
Chris Morrell
Director of Information Technology
http://www.nachi.org/

![](upload://gGdIinELaatim8uU4c0uLBC09qF.html)

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Nick, (Chris)

Can we also get a more printer friendly version of the SOP. They would be much easier to follow if not on 28 pages reading top to bottom in columns with the web site directory down the left side of the first page. Now, I'm the first to admit that I'm almost completely computer illiterate, but I didn't see any other version to print. I would also be more inclined to include them in my report if they were easier to read, and didn't kill so many trees ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Chris,

We all know who makes things happen at NACHI (just don't tell Nick) of course it is you and the librarian but, then she has been out for some time viewing a video with someone. Would the person that has the librarian please send her back so we can get the library open again. You can keep the tape.

Lee Trower

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Chris,

You don't have to remind us that you are the real king at NACHI. Hey, what does it hurt to let Nick think he is the king of the hill. ![icon_cool.gif](upload://oPnLkqdJc33Dyf2uA3TQwRkfhwd.gif)

Joe Myers