Home Inspectors, please list the items you check for here

Originally Posted By: jtedesco
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Please try to identify each item in your list without using any code references.

![](upload://pS0lQna68Pu7F0jdI5rN8ZE7YrP.jpeg)

NOTE: This is a sub panel and the cover was removed for inspection and was nearby.

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

missing knock-outs, signs of rust, signs of moisture and missing or improper bushings.

Condition and size of main feeds, are the conductors from the main panel large enough for the indended load, and of similar capasity as the panel rating.

Breakers, check breakers for signs of damage and arcing.Look for double taps.

Branch circuits, check size of conductors relative to breakers and check for signs of damaged or overheated wires.

Isolated neutral, as we know that this is a sub, check that there is no ground to neutral bond on this panel.

Grounding check for proper conection to ground, either through ground wire(s) or through metal conduit back to main panel.

Thats it from me tonight ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Gerry:

Thanks for getting this started. I believe the information that we will see added here could become a good source of reference for the HI.

Your list gets to the typical items that are inspected during a home inspection.

I am sure that there are other items that can be discussed because of their relationship to this type of installation. Such as, the feeder. Where does it come from, and why is it called a feeder.

These discussions can begin to show where we have many who are familiar with the subject of HI electrical inspections.

For the new inspectors please book mark this location so you can check often.

--

Originally Posted By: tallen

How do you check a UFER? Joe?

I have put the past behind me,

where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

tallen wrote:
How do you check a UFER? Joe?

Courtesy: www.nfpa.org

http://www.joetedesco.com/250_66.doc

Only the accessible terminations can be checked by a HI, that's why it is important for an electrical inspector to be sure that any buried connections are correct when first installed during construction.

In the image above see the typical connections for further information.

--