HomeSafe explains why it sued ASHI's president for 9 million dollars.

Press release from HomeSafe: http://www.nachi.org/documents2012/HomeSafe-may-2014.pdf

Actual filed complaint: http://www.nachi.org/documents2012/HomeSafe-vs-Bill-Loden-ASHI.pdf

LOL. I’m picturing you wearing a cheerleader outfit … waiving your pom poms and shouting “Go, team. Go, team.”

Seriously, though … this appears to be little more than the frivolous crap your other (former) team mate would threaten me and Joe with on a daily basis for over a year until you finally threw him out for ethics violations. This is hardly an expensive patent violation lawsuit? I wonder why he was spared from that since he obviously does infrared testing without paying them for it. :wink:

The burden of proof is on your new team mate to prove his allegations. Will Bill Loden and ASHI continue to lead the industry as they have … or will they be weak and cut a deal, leaving home inspectors hanging in the wind?

Time will tell.

LOL. I’m picturing you wearing a cheerleader outfit … waiving your pom poms and shouting “Go, team. Go, team.”

Seriously, though … this appears to be little more than the frivolous crap your other (former) team mate would threaten me and Joe with on a daily basis for over a year until you finally threw him out for ethics violations. This is hardly an expensive patent violation lawsuit? I wonder why he was spared from that since he obviously does infrared testing without paying them for it. After all, you have repeatedly said that your team has a duty to sue such violators. Why spare Mr. Loden? Out of friendship?

The burden of proof is on your new team mate to prove his allegations. Will Bill Loden and ASHI continue to lead the industry as they have … or will they be weak and cut a deal, leaving home inspectors hanging in the wind?

Time will tell.

As the president of his association and custodian of his members’ hard-earned dues, I suppose he is free to spend ASHI’s entire budget on his personal defense lawyers while his members remain at risk… or he can spend it to start developing some of these: www.nachi.org/benefits.htm

Time will tell.

As I was reading the complaint, I noticed that NACHI is the first Association to be recognized as providers for patent protection from Homesafe.
Thanks Nick, for going the extra mile and providing services, education and benefits to the Home Inspection Industry.

Was a looss of revenue the result of former franchise owners joining NACHI, or simply deciding that they no longer wanted to pay. Were there other reasons, such as a drop in business and no longer being able to afford the franchise or royalty fee or whatever fee structure they had agreed to?

Was the loss of revenue actual revenue, or was it projected revenue from a revenue stream that may have dried up based upon a number of factors, including an inspector’s own rsearch on the matter, including what he/she learn from the likes of Snell, etc.

Do those who provide education in the art of using the cameras inform their students of their obligation to comply with the patent?

Also, going from 40 franchise owners in 2008 to only 10 in 2014 likely has nothing to do directly with Bill Loder.

If his business has a general liability policy, he should have no legal expenses. His insurer should cover it all.

Why did your team mate fail to sue for patent infringement? No case?

I have no idea what their legal strategies are.

Most people who know me, know that I’m no stranger to courtrooms. I enjoy litigation (I should have gone to law school). I find it really interesting and exciting. InterNACHI has a full-time legal staff. One of our staffers at InterNACHI is an international patent attorney. That’s what she specializes in… patents. And she’s one of the best in the world. Anyway, for me, lawsuits are sport.

However, my first and very immediate duty was to my member who got sued. I did what I had to do to get the suit withdrawn for him and his family. Defense costs were going to be outrageous. He can sleep well now.

My second duty is to InterNACHI members. I can’t justify putting our members at financial risk just so I can go play pretend hero and cut YouTube vidoes. I didn’t want any other members getting sued. So last year, I structured a blanket agreement to make sure that all InterNACHI members are protected. Our master license covers all InterNACHI members, even members who don’t have IR cameras, even members who live in Bangladesh, even members who may have infringed on any number of patents, even before they joined InterNACHI. InterNACHI members can all sleep well now.

My third duty is to protect InterNACHI, the organization itself. Yes, InterNACHI has the world’s best in-house legal staff. They like to fight in court (because without litigation, they have nothing to do but fetch me doughnuts all day). However, there is always a chance that we could lose, and lose big. Going to court is a roll of the dice. It makes no business sense to take unnecessary risks just to keep our legal staff busy (and me on my diet :wink:).

My fourth duty is to the industry. I didn’t leave ASHI members out in the cold and at risk of personal financial destruction (like ASHI did to their own members). Instead, last year I structured an agreement with the patent owners such that it allows me to offer a safe haven for non-members. Did I exploit my license by turning into a troll? Did I sue ASHI members? Did I send out even one letter to any ASHI member? No. In fact, I kept my efforts quiet until ASHI’s leadership broke their gentleman’s agreement with me and shot their big mouth’s off. Anyway, I made available to ASHI members (offer still stands BTW) that which we already provide for InterNACHI members… and at no additional cost. That’s fair, more than fair IMHO.

My fifth duty is to use members’ dues wisely. Wasting hundreds of thousands of dollars, maybe even millions of dollars of our members’ money on litigation makes no business sense to me. I’d rather use members’ dues to continue adding to the bottom of this list. If you’ll excuse me now, I have to get back to adding to that list.

Who is our staffer who specializes in international patents?

Alysse. She is a patent attorney with two law degrees majoring in patents and intellectual property rights. Last week she completed an additional year at NYU and is scheduled to take her NY bar exam which means she’ll be licensed in NY. After that, we’re thinking California.

When does she take her bar ecsm?

I don’t know. What does that stand for?

It must minor mistake day. :roll:

EXAM

Either that or she is stealing the episcopal community services of Maryland. :wink:

Oh. She is scheduled to take her NY bar exam in two and a half months. Costs $700 and not every attorney is permitted to sit for it (she had to qualify first). She had to study the laws particular to NY State as that is a section of the exam. I believe the exam is a two days long. One day for NY and the other for multi-states portion.