Hot Doorbell

Hi guys,

At today’s inspection, I went to check the doorbell and had to pull my finger away from it. It was hot. I felt again and yes it was hot. I asked the realtor and homebuyer to touch it to make sure I was feeling what I thought I was feeling and yes , they agreed. Very hot. I took out my digital thermometer and sure enough the door bell registered 126 degrees. I have never run across this before. My guess is that it isn’t low voltage but line voltage but then again, what do I know, I’m a generalist not an electrician. Any ideas.

I would think this was a combination of sun and some have a small light inside so it is visable at night .
I expect if it was line voltage some one would have felt this before .
… Cookie

The doorbell is on the shady side of the home and I have never felt a doorbell with a light that was that hot to the touch. I have a door bell with a light and checked the temperature and it registered 95 degrees, a 31 degree difference.

Stronger Light could do this …Cookie

As a mater of protocol, next time in a situation you not want to ask someone else to touch something that may be improperly electrically hot. Being known as a deal killer is one thing but if get a reputation for killing realtors and clients… well I have to imagine that is worse.

Also you did not tell us…did the bell ring? If 120V 15A power was going through the solenoid I don’t think you get more than one bong out of it before it was cooked.

Paul,

Thanks for the heads up. I like that , “Being known as a deal killer is one thing but if get a reputation for killing realtors and clients…” I will keep that in mind. It did ring with no problem and it wasn’t cooked after I rang it. They also rang it with no problems. I guess it’s just an abnormality of that door bell. It rings hot.

This is just a speculation, but the age of the home may provide some clue…

Some of the older door chimes were 24 and 36 volt. The chime unit itself was often very mechanical, and needed this voltage. Modern door chimes are normally either 10 volt or 16 volt. If someone at some point replaced the original chime button with a lighted version (which are 16 volt max) on an old system operating at 24 or 36 volt, I suspect that it may well get quite warm.

As I scolled down I was thinking the same thing. Incorrect tansformer making the lamp hotter than normal.

But the good news is the home needs no further outside illumination :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :wink:

Good call Marc, I bet your correct, I’d never have twigged that one

Regards

Gerry

Simple - too hot is too hot

And the problem is ???

Voltage is too high if it is a lighted bulb – (It will not last long and should be bright)

A simple meter from radio shack will find the problem - This is out of the SOP of the HI

Good catch -

rlb

Thanks for the input guys. I appreciate it.

However, could you provide the address of this house - I have a few realtors I’d like to send by to try out this hot button…:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :shock: