Hot PIC of members and CMIs in Toronto, Canada conference on March 1, 2014.

http://www.nacbi.org/

We don’t determine who gets to be a CMI. CMI’s qualifications are already established. If Nathan (or Michelle Obama for that matter) submits a proper application along with all the required supporting documentation, he/she will be awarded the designation.

BTW, this is also true for InterNACHI membership. You can become an InterNACHI member unilaterally, at 4 AM if you qualify, while all the staffers at InterNACHI are sound asleep. We don’t determine who joins InterNACHI and who doesn’t.

LOL! “ASHI Certified Inspector” is ASHI’s highest membership level. Can you guess what exam they use as the basis for awarding their highest membership certification? Yep… the (admittedly) minimum standard NHIE. The very “minimum standard” (their adjective, not mine) exam used by many states to license newbies fresh out of school. ASHI Certified Inspector (ASHI’s highest certification) means that you passed the same exam a newbie getting his license passed yesterday. What a joke… a bad joke. In fact, I was talking with ASHI guys today about what a joke it is for using the minimum standard NHIE and that it doesn’t work because consumers don’t know what it means. “Joke” is their description of their designation (not mine). “Minimum standard” is EBPHI’s adjective for the NHIE (not mine).

This in stark contrast to the 1,000 requirement for Certified Master Inspector and the instant understanding by consumers of the meaning of those three little words: CERTIFIED MASTER INSPECTOR.

CMI’s aren’t “given.” But you are correct, one would not qualify if he/she has zero inspection experience. And one would not qualify if he/she has zero education.

CMI is based on a un-lopsided combination of the three "E"s.

• Education (that comes by taking inspection-related courses and training and attending industry seminars)
  • Exams (that come with education, continuing education, related education, and licensing)
  • Experience (that comes with number of years in business and number of inspections performed)

It is the perfect criteria (both achievable, yet meaningful). And when I say “perfect”… I do mean PERFECT.

And on top of it being achievable, yet meaningful… it is also our industry’s most powerful marketing tool.

Nick, in your last three post are you trying to confirm that Nathan Thornberry has been awarded the CMI designation?

Nick,

I appreciate your reply, nonetheless it seems to do little to benefit the existing or future holders of the designation if said recipients are not inspectors, no disrespect to any recipients… I’m just not aware of other holders of the CMI title that are not or weren’t inspectors.

The designation itself describes what it should, as the I is for Inspector, not experience. Who knows, maybe a need for a new designation exists, such as CMwE (Certified Master with Experience, or Industry Master who knows)

Having said that, it’s simply my opinion.

Food for thought, I doubt you would want to, but I’d be willing to bet that if you poll’ed the existing base of CMI’s and asked if they approved/liked/condoned whatever, the notion of issuing the designation to someone who is neither an active nor retired inspector, I’m thinking the majority wouldn’t think so.

However, and as mentioned… I and others are only the recipients of said CMI, not the captain setting the course to ??

BTW, your website for CMI makes mention (as Kevin quoted) of the hypothetical application where no actual inspections performed or receiving said lop sided application, why make mention if otherwise?

As far as your mention of Experience… yes, that’s important, but you really can’t be an Inspector without performing Inspections… right?

Nick isn’t that stupid to thornberry-up his pride and joy.

Jim often reads me like a book. CMI is my pride and joy. It is the culmination of many years of work by many hundreds of inspectors expressing their thinking about how CMI should ultimately end up. I’m pleased to announce: It ended up a masterpiece.

It is wisely based on the three E’s. It is achievable, yet meaningful (a rare combination). And it is a wrecking ball of a marketing machine!

In the eye of the beholder.

Or more accurately for those of us who have kids to feed or put through college: “In the eye of the consumer.

CMI isn’t designed as a tool for you to use to feel good about yourself. If you need that, you’re a weirdo. CMI is designed to take some of the many streams of money that exist in the universe and direct them into your pocket. If that is distasteful to you, CMI isn’t for you.

I would hope it would be more than a majority… I would hope it would be unanimous!

Right.

But experience alone isn’t enough for CMI. And education alone isn’t enough for CMI.

CMI is based on a un-lopsided combination of the three "E"s.

• Education (that comes by taking inspection-related courses and training and attending industry seminars)
  • Exams (that come with education, continuing education, related education, and licensing)
  • Experience (that comes with number of years in business and number of inspections performed)

It is the perfect criteria (both achievable, yet meaningful). And when I say “perfect”… I do mean PERFECT.

CMI is wisely based on the three E’s. It is achievable, yet meaningful (a rare combination). And it is a wrecking ball of a marketing machine!

As professional designations go (in any industry)… CMI is simply a masterpiece.

Thanks for clearing all that up Nick.

But the question still remains.

Is Nathan Thornberry a CMI or not?

And it doesn’t look like you’re going to give a straight answer.

I don’t see his name on the CMI site, at least not yet, so until I see his name listed or until you answer with a definitive “yes he is”, I will be under the assumption that he is not & just consider this more BS from Nathan, meant to do nothing more than to stir the pot.

I was at the Toronto C&D show and many asked me about how to become a CMI .
I expect to see an increase in how many Ontario Home Inspectors are CMIs .
Those who are a CMI seem happy ,Those who are not a CMI seem to complain.

I like being happy .

Interesting that he had to go to the Toronto, CANADA convention to acheive the CMI. Perhaps he squeezed through using the Canadian Connection!

But the question still remains… How has someone who has (self-admittedly on this very MB), NEVER performed a single inspection, been considered to have qualified for the designation?

Every single legitimate CMI should be demanding an accounting of the process that allowed this to happen, and immediate action taken to correct it and insure that it never happens again!

Even Roy Cooke, a proud and deserving qualified CMI, has to agree with me on that!

Now, for those who retort that I am not a CMI so therefore my opinion doesn’t matter…

Congratulations on your newest unqualified Certified Master Inspector! I’m sure he will bring great attention to your fine marketing club. Enjoy! :mrgreen:

Roy,

I have held the CMI designation since 2006. For me, this is not about being happy or sad, it’s about the legitimacy of the title of “CMI”.

Did you see Nathan Thornberry get awarded the CMI designation?

I have beat this dead horse before but here we go again???

In Okla one must take the required hours and pass a State test to obtain a State license no inspections required.

Ok lets do this I receive my State license hang my shingle for 3 years never perform a inspection become a member of InterNachi and take 1000 hours of courses which is only 26 weeks or 6 months of courses. Apply for and receive my CMI designation . AHHHH consumer fraud plain and simple

I have to catch a plane back to the U.S., but I’m scanning the thread for question marks and will try to answer as fast as I can.

Been considered by whom? I don’t really understand the question.

I have no idea. You’d have to check www.CertifiedMasterInspector.org I never see the applications or the required documentation that must be submitted with them and they are stored offsite by an outside CPA. I have to go to the website myself when I want to know if someone is a CMI.

And on a side note, I don’t know if he would qualify or not. I don’t really know what Nathan’s background is. Sorry. When Nathan and I are together, we talk about inspector marketing because it’s what we both love talking about.

Any other questions?

I have stated before the requirements for CMI are phoney and I stand by my statement consumer fraud. It takes more than 26 weeks of training to become a master of anything. Look around the forum some of the questions being asked by CMI’s are grade school stuff:shock: